Chevrolet Corvette Coupe (1997-2004)
  • The model's that I have had experience with are considered the C5 model (1997-2004)
  • I had originally owned a Mercedes C-Class Coupe and was continually disappointed with the non existent power of the car
  • Might write a Z066 review too), I decided to trade in a Mercedes (yes, that's right) and get American muscle
  • There were several times when I found myself giggling with delight as I heard the rear tires squeak, felt my head slammed into the back of my head rest and saw the other cars far, far behind me
  • I would recommend a Corvette to any previous sports car owners (since it takes a while to get used to all the power) and to anyone that is willing to spare the extra cash for repairs and maintenance

• by Heidi
      For those of you who don’t know much about the Chevy Corvette let me start off with a quick fact. The first design was called the C1, the second the C2 and so on… The newest model’s (starting in 2005) are called the C6. The model’s that I have had experience with are considered the C5 model (1997-2004). I have to say that after getting my 2000 Corvette Coupe with pop off roof in pewter metallic that I was very pleased. I had originally owned a Mercedes C-Class Coupe and was continually disappointed with the non existent power of the car. I needed horsepower and thanks to the influence of my Dad’s 2003 Corvette Z06 (the souped up model by Chevy. Might write a Z066 review too), I decided to trade in a Mercedes (yes, that’s right) and get American muscle. The 2000 Corvettes were nicely equipped with 345 horse-power and 350 pounds feet of torque and the models produced AFTER 2000 were all stocked with 350 horse-power.

It was a choice that I am both thankful for and not so thankful for. When it comes to style, design and horsepower, you will be floored. The sleek body of the Corvette really makes you feel that you’re cruising down the highway in the cockpit of a jet fighter. On windy days I can literally feel the wind “slide” off the body of the car while other cars on the road are being jerked around. Wind resistance was obviously a reason why the designers came up with the new and improved design for the 1997 Corvette. When testing a new sports car, they often use wind resistance test’s to determine how well the car handles when taken to high speeds. And trust me…this baby can get you to high speeds! Although I am a very courteous and cautious driver (can you believe I am a Corvette driver and I have NEVER gotten a speeding ticket in my life!), there are occasions

when I find myself trapped in a threatening traffic situation.

Such as a drunk driver, a vehicle that is tail gating and is about to rear end you because you’re just not going fast enough or someone that cuts you off and slows down to such a point that you’re actually endangering yourself and others by not continuing the smooth flow of traffic. So yes, I have found myself putting the pedal to the metal and getting myself out of those situations. There were several times when I found myself giggling with delight as I heard the rear tires squeak, felt my head slammed into the back of my head rest and saw the other cars far, far behind me. It was a defining moment for me because I realized that I will never be able to stray away from such power. The handling of the car is excellent and I have found myself on several occasions grinning from ear to ear at the complete control I have over the car. If you tilt the steering wheel even slightly to the right, it’s going to go to the right! No more, “Oh no, I just ran over that huge rock because I couldn’t get out of the way fast enough! Stupid sloppy suspension!” Although, I have found myself very thankful for traction control. When traction control is on, the computer automatically slows the engine down to resist spin outs or losing control.

One of the coolest features is the HUD (Heads Up Display), although Corvettes before 2000 did not have the option. HUD is a projected image displayed off a special section of tint on the windshield. HUD can be calibrated to up, down, left and right. It has useful settings like gas gauge, speed, oil level and engine temperature. HUD is much safer because the driver has to look less then an inch below their line of sight to check their speed instead of looking at the speed ...

• gauge on the dash. Something that comes with the C5 coupe and convertible exclusively is tire sensor gauges. These gauges will tell you what the PSI of each tire on the car is with a distinct LR (left rear), RR (Right rear) system.

This comes in handy if you feel the tire pressure is off but you don’t have a tire gauge with you. It also warns you when the PIS drops below 26 or so since 30 is the standard setting for all C5 Corvettes. Now, here are some negatives. Although if you ask any Corvette owner, most likely they’ll say they absolutely love their car BUT’ A huge problem is reliability. I have never owned a car that has had been in and out of the shop so much. The C5 Corvettes have a small computer in the car that relays error messages (such as the aforementioned tire gauge sensors or if you’re low on gas). Just like what Consumer Reports recently revealed about Mercedes Benz and BMW, most problems stem from the cars computer.

One error message after another flashes in my face while I’m driving. My local Chevrolet dealer has been helpful because they were well aware of most problems. Although I did wind up spending over FOUR GRAND on repairs last year. For example: My gas tank had to be completely replaced because there was a very annoying error that would tell me that my gas was on low or on empty’even though I just filled the tank! Instead of doing the smart thing and having a replaceable sensor in the tank, I had to end up replacing the whole thing because the sensor was a part of the tank itself. There is also the common ABS and traction control error. This error is extremely dangerous and when I first told my dealer of the error, they told me not to drive the car. Basically the error shuts off ABS and traction

control for no apparent reason.

So if that error is active and you have to slam on the brakes (relying on ABS to assist), you’re pretty much screwed. There is also a problem with cheap interior materials. The Corvette coupe is supposed to be the top of the line, but I found myself replacing the driver seat (the whole thing) because the seat came apart at the seems (it was like that when I bought it and it only had 17k miles). The dash which includes the stereo face and climate controls looks cheap and come standard on just about all Chevy cars and trucks. The exterior paint isn’t bad quality. But if you’re a stickler for a great looking car like I am, be wary of constant rock chips (and my car isn’t even a highway car). The car rides VERY low to the ground and obviously your car will be an easy target.

There were several times the factory battery had to be restarted. I never left a door ajar or my radar detector on. It would just die. Finally, I replaced the battery with an after market brand and have not had a problem since. So, like all cars, the Corvette has its positives and negatives. I would have to say that out of all the cars I see on the road everyday, the Corvette is the most pronounced and just plain mean looking! I am always in the need for more speed so I have bought some after market products like a cold air intake system, new exhaust and it’s great that so many places offer such products (try westcoastcorvette. com or corvettegarage.

com). I would recommend a Corvette to any previous sports car owners (since it takes a while to get used to all the power) and to anyone that is willing to spare the extra cash for repairs and maintenance. But for now, I am extremely happy with my Vette and would only trade her in for the new C6.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 91312110890231/k2311a1213/12.13.06