Tamron AF 75-300mm F/4.5 LD Macro 1:3.9 (Canon Mount) Model 672D  » Cameras  »
  • It’s most definitely a little heaver than most other lenses of its class, I have held a few Canon lenses, and all of them weighed a bit less than this one
  • On the camera, the whole set-up weighs a little over 2 pounds, so it’s not something I like to carry all the time
  • Overall, I think I’d like to upgrade to a ‘slimmer’ and ‘smoother’ Canon 75/70-300, but this lens will surely do in the meantime

• by GID

One of the two lenses that came with a package deal for my Canon EOS Rebel XTi DSLR. While I don’t use this lens as often as my short lens, this is my absolute favorite. I use it for the majority of my macro and darkroom shots, and obviously for plenty of wildlife and zoom-necessary photo opportunities. It’s most definitely a little heaver than most other lenses of its class, I have held a few Canon lenses, and all of them weighed a bit less than this one.

I picked it up as part of the package for about a buck and

a quarter (around $125-140), so it’s most definitely a steal for someone just getting into photography as a hobby, or someone who needs a backup lens.

The build is pretty solid, though with all of the heavy use I’ve given this lens over the past few years, it’s showing signs of age. The turn-action on the focus ring isn’t as easy-going as it was when I first got it, and with less use than my short lens, that’s disappointing. It’s easy to use, there’s nothing fancy about it and I haven’t come across any issues while using it other than an occasional sore ...

• wrist from lugging it around! On the camera, the whole set-up weighs a little over 2 pounds, so it’s not something I like to carry all the time.

The distance from subject to end of lens is great, as I can stand about 5’ from my subject and zoom to any point of interest in a flash. As with the other Tamron lenses, the auto-focus capability is a bit loud, and I don’t like to use it unless I’m shooting in the studio, as it tends to spook and/or worry the wildlife.

If you use a generic aluminum 58 to 62 adapter ring

(came with my package deal) it is possible to attach a .5 magnification lens to it, which gives extreme close-ups. I’ve used it as a microscope of sorts, taking photos of the veins on leaves and butterfly wings, the heads of insects, and many other small objects. However, when you try to go past 80mm on the zoom lens with this .5 magnification lens attached, the picture becomes fuzzy and will refuse to focus, so it’s not good past that point.

Overall, I think I’d like to upgrade to a ‘slimmer’ and ‘smoother’ Canon 75/70-300, but this lens will surely do in the meantime.

Susana Cueva says :

Is this Tamron lense AF75-300 mm f 5.4 Macro 1 3.9 compatible with a 20d canon camera? I would like to know to be able to buy the 20d used camera because I already have the lense.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4326051108890831/k2311a0526/5.26.10