Gyu Don Ya Japanese Restaurant in Vancouver, Canada  » Restaurants  »
500 Robson Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 2B7
  • I thought I had to order at the cashier, so I lady politely asked me to sit down and order from one of the tables
  • And the best part of course, is that the food is unpretentiously good, and fast in the coming
  • Definitely the next time I’m back from the library at Robson Street, I would be coming back here
  • I highly recommend this restaurant to the busy shopper, after all, Robson Street is Vancouver’s shopping mecca
  • There’s nothing like good food to bring the energy back, and judging from my experience at Gyu Don Ya that afternoon, a bowl of beef with great tasting Japanese rice can go a long, long way

• by RichieMogwai

I have to say that I discovered a Japanese restaurant that is just so good. And to think that it was just quite by chance that on May 19, 2010, I just came from the Vancouver Public Library and I was so hungry. I was originally on my way to head to Granville to grab two slices of pizza at my favorite pizza joint.

But as I walked down Robson Street, I was also looking to see if there are any good food deals other than pizza. I went past Gyu Don Ya and saw the beef bowl special at $4.95, the sign hanging on the glass window.

I just had to turnaround, thinking I just had to check this out. Just $4.95 for a beef bowl. You’ve got to be kidding me!

So there I was, into the door

and inside, where I saw a lot of people eating. It was almost 2:00 p.m., but then I guess many people would still be having their lunch in this part of downtown Vancouver. I thought I had to order at the cashier, so I lady politely asked me to sit down and order from one of the tables.

I choose one of the counter tables overlooking Robson Street. The lady was ready to hand out the menu, so I told her I knew what my order was, the beef bowl special. She smiled and asked me what drink I would have, and I said just can of Coke.

My order took just about a few minutes. I like this restaurant. It’s just like the motif or color scheme of my apartment room: Black and burgundy.

• Everything looked elegant in this restaurant. And everything looked clean.

I must say I rather enjoyed my beef bowl. It not only came very fast, it also tasted great. I sprinkled some soy sauce while I mixed the rice and the beef together, and had a ball!

I also relished the fact that my Coke drink order came in a classic Coke glass bottle with that equally classic emerald Coca Cola glass. I thought it was a nice touch.

Just a few days ago, I was suffering from the after taste of a Japanese restaurant gone bad, the Sushi Zero One restaurant situated at West Pender. Gyu Don Ya just restored my faith in Japanese cuisine. Everything was just perfect here.

It’s not a big place, but it looks well run and well-maintained. It has none of that

hurried, slightly messy look of the Zero One restaurant. Gyu Don Ya looked elegant, without trying very hard.

And the best part of course, is that the food is unpretentiously good, and fast in the coming. Truly, I have to say, everything works in this Japanese restaurant. Definitely the next time I’m back from the library at Robson Street, I would be coming back here. I highly recommend this restaurant to the busy shopper, after all, Robson Street is Vancouver’s shopping mecca. So I could imagine, ladies struggling from excessive shopping will get a huge boost from eating at this restaurant.

There’s nothing like good food to bring the energy back, and judging from my experience at Gyu Don Ya that afternoon, a bowl of beef with great tasting Japanese rice can go a long, long way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 726051108680831/k2311a0526/5.26.10