Sushi Zero One in Vancouver, Canada  » Restaurants  »
2.5
559 West Pender Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6B 1V5
  • Unfortunately, as I went into this restaurant and saw that five pieces of sashimi is already like Canadian $8 plus tax, I thought to myself
  • I thought I was making the right decision
  • I think she was more worried about closing the restaurant than seriously taking orders from waiting customers
  • Maybe Zero One is good with their sushi, or sashimi, but definitely not with a Korean dish

• by RichieMogwai

I went to the Sushi Zero One restaurant for the first time this month to see if they have any sashimi deals. I have never been a big fan of sushi, primarily because I find that it contains more Japanese rice than fish. Sashimi is what I usually go for, because it is raw, unadulterated fish, either salmon or tuna, and as fresh as if the fish was just caught. And as you would have guessed, it has no rice. If you wanted rice, you would order say, a bowl.

Unfortunately, as I went into this restaurant and saw that five pieces of sashimi is already like Canadian $8 plus tax, I thought to myself: Maybe I should postpone the satisfaction of my sashimi craving for a while. I thought I was making the right decision.

This restaurant has a very good location. It is a very busy intersection, with lots of pizza and donair joints. It is a

very small place, with only three tables at the back, and one table in the front, but one which looks more like a bar with bar stools with a view to the traffic outside.

The door is partly covered by a pair of Japanese tapestry curtains, which lent the place more authenticity. People come and go here, most of which for takeout sushi. But like I said earlier, it was sashimi I was after, which got diverted into the Korean kimchi.

It was one of the specials posted at the cashier’s desk, so I read it intently. Mega kimchi for $6 and some odd cents. The rest of the specials were noodle soups, but I thought I wanted to try something different.

It would turn out to be a bad decision. It was not really the mega kimchi that I had in mind. It was just a regular bowl, with a heaping of fat, thick noodles, and thin slice of what looks ...

• like boiled Easter egg. I could see the red peppers on the top, which I stirred along with the small slices of radish.

I began consuming my kimchi by savoring the soup, which I liked very much. The cashier/server came by and saw that I was enjoying the soup so she asked if I wanted some more. I declined.

All I was left with was a heaping of noodles with radish and spice. But for some reason, I was having a hard time with the chop sticks, so it took me a grueling while to even start to get all the fat noodles eaten. And to make matters worse, the spiciness of the whole thing started to get the worse of me.

My nose began to water, and I sweated profusely. I tried to consume more noodles and radish, and alas, that was it. I just had to walk out of the restaurant. I was already

starting to cough, and it was embarrassing.

The ladies at my back were coughing a bit, too, while they ate their sashimi. But before I could get into some serious embarrassment, I thought I’d bolt out the door. After all, I already paid for my order. In this restaurant, an eat in meant that you paid for it first athe cashier, and then you sat on the table to wait for your order.

Judging from the taste of the kimchi, I don’t think I’d go back here again. I had asked for some add-ons to my kimchi when I was at the ordering stage, but the lady said there weren’t any of those. I think she was more worried about closing the restaurant than seriously taking orders from waiting customers.

This restaurant is clean, accessible, but I daresay the kimchi was not good at all. Maybe Zero One is good with their sushi, or sashimi, but definitely not with a Korean dish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 726051108670831/k2311a0526/5.26.10