Banquet Pork Patty Meal  » Food  »
2.0
  • Although I do get terribly bored with the mashed potato and corn routine I thought maybe the pork would be a bit different
  • It does have a bit of protein, although it is probably not the best choice for someone watching carbs
  • I would recommend that if you can afford it, opt for the higher quality dinners that cost a bit more

• by reviewabit

I’ve tried a great many TV dinners because I need some very quick lunch options, so when I was in my local grocery store last week and saw Banquet had a new pork patty meal I had to try it. It’s the usual small portion of meat and gravy, with mashed potatoes and corn. Although I do get terribly bored with the mashed potato and corn routine I thought maybe the pork would be a bit different.

I’m not sure what I was expecting. I love pork roast that I make at

home.

On the whole, this dinner looks and acts like all the others. You cook it about five minutes in the microwave, and the potatoes are still frozen in the middle, so you cook it a minute or so more, and find a lump of solidified over-nuked gravy in the corner of the tray.

No surprises there. When it had cooled enough I tried the pork patty first.

It looked a little anemic. I guess they didn’t use as much artificial coloring as they do on some of the others.

The patty was ...

• small, about two ounces I guess, with the usual disproportionate amount of gravy. It didn’t taste like pork roast.

It was very processed– and reminded me of the “meatloaf” patty in the meatloaf dinner. The texture and taste were a bit like sausage without the spices.

There was nothing remarkable about the rest of the dinner. I shoveled the potatoes and corn into the gravy as I usually do with these dinners.

The gravy was probably the high note, as it had more flavor than the meat itself and they had given it

a “creamy” look. For the price, I suppose this is a decent value.

It does have a bit of protein, although it is probably not the best choice for someone watching carbs. I would recommend that if you can afford it, opt for the higher quality dinners that cost a bit more.

You do get what you pay for in some cases. I would probably still purchase some of the Banquet dinners but I do not think I would opt for this one again, as it was not the “pork” fix I had expected.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2725051108441231/k2311a0525/5.25.10