An American Haunting
  • I believe that he used the elements of atmosphere to his advantage and played with it to draw the audience into the dark winter of 1818
  • Unfortunately, like with most of today's horror films, some of the events were predictably done
  • I was expecting Spacek to produce one of her memorable performances, but was disappointed

• by Heidi
      Director Courtney Solomon’s direction in the film “An American Haunting” was well done in some aspects. I believe that he used the elements of atmosphere to his advantage and played with it to draw the audience into the dark winter of 1818. Unfortunately, like with most of today’s horror films, some of the events were predictably done.

Solomon had a lot to work with and could have done a lot more with the entity, but instead it wound up being predictable in its scare tactics. The 1981 movie, “The Entity” came to mind several times.

The

acting was incredible. I had not seen or heard of Rachel-Hurd Wood (Betsey Bell), but she did an excellent job.

She was attacked by the ghost periodically and it was hard to tell that she was acting. The look of horror painted across her face was very realistic.

In some movies you can look into the actor’s eyes and there is a certain something that reveals that they are merely doing a job. This was not the case.

Donald Sutherland and Sissy Spacek on the other hand had very down played roles. I was ...

• expecting Spacek to produce one of her memorable performances, but was disappointed.

I believe it was the role that numbed her performance. The why I am writing this review is because I was so frustrated with the constant use of the word “witch” throughout the description of the movie and it being repeatedly used in the trailers (most likely to draw appeal).

Although the original legend of the “Bell Witch” does take place in Red River Tennessee (the setting of the movie), the actual plot had nothing to do with the witch. There was a quick story

told of the legend and that’s about it.

Unless I am missing something, the “Bell Witch” had nothing to do with the actual plot of the movie. And because of this I believe that I will not be the only audience member led astray.

Overall, An American Haunting had positives and negatives. If you have become completely numb to horror movies like I have, I believe you will be very disappointed with this movie.

I was expecting a movie that would send chills down my spine, but instead I felt myself yawning and checking the clock.

An American Haunting

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111312110780231/k2311a1213/12.13.06