Richmond Public Library in Richmond, Canada  » Education  »
100-7700 Minoru Gate, Richmond - (604) 231-6404
  • I think what is so great with the Richmond public library, in particular this branch at Minoru Gate, is that it looks like your typical Chapters book store
  • Talk about elegant burgundy carpeting, sofas, chairs, and the thing I like most is the big, beautiful labels on each shelf
  • You can see them from afar, and the best reward for the reader is that you don’t have to pay to read these intellectual treasures
  • I know that the Vancouver Public Library has a plush, modern, architecturally renowned design
  • It just makes this place much more convenient

• by RichieMogwai

I went to the Richmond Public Library on May 4, 2010. It was my first time. I have always been a library kind of guy, always looking for some hot, newly released books and eager to peruse the latest magazines. I hate to have to go to the bookstore to buy my books, or the latest copy of Men’s Health, Time, or Newsweek.

After all, why buy them when you can get them free? Besides, I also think that reading these materials from the library is actually helping the environment, because more than one person gets to read the same reading material and even better, it is archived or stored properly once it becomes too old for circulation.

And now that I have been to the Richmond

Public Library, I no longer have a craving to spend more time at Chapters or the Indigo bookstores. Not that I cannot read books and magazines there for free. I think what is so great with the Richmond public library, in particular this branch at Minoru Gate, is that it looks like your typical Chapters book store. The only thing missing is Starbucks coffee!

Talk about elegant burgundy carpeting, sofas, chairs, and the thing I like most is the big, beautiful labels on each shelf. These labels really resemble the book section labeling at Chapters and Indigo.

You will not find this style at the Vancouver Public Library or for that matter, the Surrey Public Library. This type of labeling does enhance the appeal of books ...

• and periodicals. You can see them from afar, and the best reward for the reader is that you don’t have to pay to read these intellectual treasures.

For example, I was so amazed at how many books the Richmond Public Library has on the topic, Windows Vista. And you can’t miss the collection, the labels tell you from afar where these goodies are. I know that the Vancouver Public Library has a plush, modern, architecturally renowned design.

But what the Richmond Public Library does not have in terms of space, it makes up for in design. Everything here is so easy to find, because of the circular design, where you move around and you can see all the major topic categories. There is no need

to strain your eyes, or get too close to the shelves to find what you want.

Another thing that amazed me is the video and DVD collection, which is just huge and in one place. There are even Chinese or Korean titles!

As in its Vancouver counterpart, the Richmond Public Library is also equipped with automatic check out and book return. It just makes this place much more convenient. I don’t know if the other Richmond Public libraries are this good, but I can tell you one thing about this Minoru Gate branch. I will certainly be back here soon!

It’s also very accessible by bus from the 22nd Street station Sky Train, just take the 410 Railway bus and you’ll be there in like 30 minutes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5025051107791131/k2311a0525/5.25.10