Howl’s Moving Castle (anime film)  » Movies  »
  • I was so happy, in the first instance, because I love the book on which the film is based
  • I decided to go and see 'Howl's Moving Castle' last year during the Chinese New Year, when it was showing at local cinemas, and dubbed in Chinese (with English subtitles)
  • It focused more on the issue of the war than I might have if I were making the film myself, but that ended up adding an interesting layer to the film that wasn't so prominent in my reading of the book
  • I enjoyed it (all 3 times I saw it), and have only heard good things from friends who also watched it

• by believin
      When I first heard that ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ was to be released on film, I was thrilled. I was a little chagrined, though, to learn that it would be a Japanese anime production.

I was so happy, in the first instance, because I love the book on which the film is based.

Its author, Diana Wynne Jones, is one of my favorites.

Regrettably, her books are not often enough available

in most bookstores in the US.

In the UK I understand she has a much bigger following, though.

Certainly she’s enthusiastically enough read in my house!

But when I heard that the film was to be done as Japanese anime, I was less enthusiastic about it.

I am not usually a big fan of Japanese anime, though there are some that catch my attention from time to time.

I ...

• decided to go and see ‘Howl’s Moving Castle’ last year during the Chinese New Year, when it was showing at local cinemas, and dubbed in Chinese (with English subtitles).

I really loved the way the film handled the text.

that wasn’t so prominent in my reading of the book.

The film was less interested in the book’s use of John Donne’s poetry than I was, and I felt its absence in watching the movie.

But still, it’s a film I have often given as a gift on DVD or VCD to friends.

I enjoyed it (all 3 times I saw it), and have only heard good things from friends who also watched it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111312110700231/k2311a1213/12.13.06