Tamron AF 28-80mm F/2.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens (Canon Mount) Model 177D  » Cameras  »
  • I prefer not to use this feature for the most part, especially not when I am shooting wildlife or other sensitive subjects

• by GID

This lens came in a package deal with my Canon EOS Rebel XTi DSLR. It’s the only short lens I have ever used on this camera, simply because it’s always performed well and gotten the job done; I’ve not seen the absolute need to make any upgrades regarding my short lens. This is the lens I use for most of my shots, in combination with various filters and

magnification lenses. It has a 58mm front thread,

It’s average weight compared to some of the other same-length lenses that I have looked at, and the price (around $100 as part of a package) couldn’t be beaten. The rotating action for the focusing and focal length rings are still functioning well after a couple years of use (rough use, I might add!), and the rubber grip and markings ...

• have held up superbly. It’s easy to use, and like the other lenses, it’s incredibly simple.

When combined with my .5 magnification macro lens (58mm front-thread) it makes an excellent macro lens.

The only thing I do not like, is that this lens has a somewhat loud auto-focus feature. The mechanics in the lens make a rather loud hissing/clicking noise as they turn and focus. I prefer not

to use this feature for the most part, especially not when I am shooting wildlife or other sensitive subjects.

Overall, this lens has performed almost to my fullest expectations, and I don’t see any need to upgrade anytime too soon. The pictures are sharp and in focus, and since it goes down to F2.5, I’m able to shoot in low light situations when I may not have been otherwise able to do so.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4325051106950931/k2311a0525/5.25.10