Samsung Star TV (S5233t)  » Phones  »
  • Since I had always been a Nokia user, from my first 3210, I thought that this was my opportunity to try other brands
  • What I enjoyed about it was that the touch screen can be adjusted for sensitivity, depending on your preference
  • I was not disappointed because the display was bright and crisp, with rich graphical controls
  • In the morning, I am warned by the morning shows which roads to avoid by their traffic reports, very useful when I am running late for a meeting in the office

• by LaPinay

There I was in between jobs when a friend offered to let me “work” in his electronics store. I say “work” because we agreed that my compensation was that I could play with the electronics/gadgets in his store because he knew I liked my toys and wrote part-time to augment my income.

Since I had always been a Nokia user, from my first 3210, I thought that this was my opportunity to try other brands. I am also active in paid to post sites, and so I follow the television news avidly as part of my research. It was then that I met Samsung S5233t, a gadget which allowed me to combine my work and passions.

Samsung S5233t is a full 3” screen touch

mobile phone with a resolution of 240 x 400 pixels, much like my Nokia 5800 (Music Express). Upon powering up the cellphone, my first impression was a grudging admiration for its UI (user interface). It was fast and responsive, the way a touch screen should be. What I enjoyed about it was that the touch screen can be adjusted for sensitivity, depending on your preference. The screen can be reoriented, either horizontally or vertically, to widen the screen. It comes with an aluminum stylus which I rarely use because the screen is ultra-responsive using my fingers.

Since Samsung has recently been actively competing in the manufacture and development of television, I expected them to bring this technology to their ...

• cellular phones. I was not disappointed because the display was bright and crisp, with rich graphical controls.

The home screen is something new to me too. It functions much like Windows, albeit limited to three. Three (3) small dots on the side indicate which page you are in, and you can drag and drop widgets that you want on your home screen. Now I find Nokia’s single window to be too limited. It is a bit clunky at 12 mm thick, but easier to grip. It comes with a 3.15 megapixel camera, good enough for those moments that you really need to take a picture. What I really like is that it is equipped with an analog TV receiver, I get

to watch local channels anywhere! I am usually on the road when the local news is aired, and Samsung Star TV is how I catch up. In the morning, I am warned by the morning shows which roads to avoid by their traffic reports, very useful when I am running late for a meeting in the office. Plus, I can still receive my text messages while watching television.

For people addicted to the internet, sorry but this has no Wi-Fi or 3G connection, just GPRS/EDGE. The speed depends on your network. I use Globe most of the time, and it can be really tiring waiting for a signal when you are not in Metro Manila. At about US$220, Samsung TV is a good buy for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3725051106650931/k2311a0525/5.25.10