Billy Elliot at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago  » Theatre  »
24 West Randolph Street, Chicago, IL 60601
  • I definitely did not expect to love it as much as I did
  • The humor, story line, talent, cast, songs, dances, and costumes all fit together perfectly to create the best show I’ve seen in quite awhile
  • His dancing was absolutely amazing and he was also a great singer
  • I really enjoyed the songs, dances, and costumes of the show
  • Billy’s dance teacher was always clad in flamboyant and interesting 80s dancewear

• by Ruby Lee Graham

I attended a wonderful production of Billy Elliot at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago on Sunday, March 21 at 7:30 pm. I went into the show not knowing a thing about the story line or anything, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I definitely did not expect to love it as much as I did. I always have at least something to criticize on anything I see, but I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this production. The humor, story line, talent, cast, songs, dances, and costumes all fit together perfectly to create the best show I’ve seen in quite awhile.

Although Billy Elliot is a dramatic musical, the humor in the show was really delightful. It usually centered around the enjoyably crass people from the small, working-class, British mining town. Many times it involved small children swearing, but it was nevertheless funny. The story line really pulls the audience in and keeps them interested.

It is a very inspiring and uplifting story. Billy overcomes a lot of adversity to eventually succeed. The cast, although much of it was quite young, was incredibly talented. The boy who played Billy was especially gifted.

His dancing was absolutely amazing and he was also a great singer. While I absolutely loved watching Billy dance, I was also overcome with jealousy that he was such a fantastic dancer at only 12 or 13 years old. The accents of every single cast member were really quality. The northern English accent, which is quite similar to a Scottish accent, was well done by every cast member in the show.

One surprisingly talented character was Mr. Braithwaite. Although he was a rather large, old, and clumsy-looking helper of the dance teacher, he was a surprisingly good dancer. He did the splits and everything.

I really enjoyed the songs, dances,

• Billy Elliot at the Oriental Theatre in Chicago
      and costumes of the show. Billy’s dance teacher was always clad in flamboyant and interesting 80s dancewear. I especially loved her classy, sparkly, white ballet outfit for the curtain call. The music done by Elton John was amazing.

The choreography was also quite brilliant. One of my favorite numbers, both music and dance wise, was “Solidarity. ” It perfectly represented Billy’s two worlds: the harsh reality of the miners and police fighting during the miners’ strike, and his creative outlet at his peaceful ballet class. The rough, repetitive rhythms and dance steps of the policemen and miners interwove with the delicate twinkling of the little girls’ dancing and singing.

Another favorite number of mine

was “Expressing Yourself,” a lighthearted vaudeville style song about cross-dressing, complete with the two little boys tap dancing in silver tap heels. Another standout song is “The Letter. ” It is a very touching song about Billy’s dead mother. I’m sure it brought tears to the eyes of most of the audience.

Billy Elliot is an absolutely fantastic show. I highly recommend it. It was the best show I’ve seen in ages, even better than the shows I saw in New York on Broadway. All in all, the talented cast, excellent costumes, innovative choreography, humor, catchy songs, and inspiring story line made Billy Elliot the best show that I’ve seen in a long time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3225051106530931/k2311a0525/5.25.10