Essential Home Three Speed Rotating Fan  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • So, when we noticed that there were no ceiling fixtures, I knew I needed a fan for the bedroom
  • I like a little white noise when I'm trying to sleep, but this was just ridiculous if you ask me
  • It's been a functioning fan, and I suppose it's been worth the $20, but I think I'll invest in a more expensive model next time around because this one feels slightly not worth all the hassle, and certainly not worth the eye sore in my bedroom or living room

• by Anasuya

When we bought our condo two years ago, we were very proud to have finally been in a financial position to buy our own home instead of living out of apartments or, worse, mobile homes. But, when we moved in, we discovered that although the condo had central air conditioning, it didn’t have any ceiling fixtures in any room by the kitchen and dining room, and no ceiling fans to speak of. I’ve had ceiling fans my who life, and honestly can’t even contemplate falling asleep without the feeling of circulating air around me. If I’m in a room with still air, I’ll simply toss and turn all night long and probably start sweating just from thinking about how uncomfortable I really am. I’ve been to friends houses, visiting for a week or two, and actually had to purchase small fans to put

in the room I was staying because they had none. So, when we noticed that there were no ceiling fixtures, I knew I needed a fan for the bedroom. We didn’t have dresser top space to place a sitting fan, and a box fan on the floor wasn’t going to cut it, so we had to buy a taller rotating fan, and that’s why I got the Essential Home 3 Speed Rotating Fan. It was affordable, at only $20, which was cheaper than most box fans, but I have to admit, it doesn’t blow nearly as hardly as a good sized box fan would.

It assembled easily enough, but I was actually left wondering if I had assembled it wrong per it’s easy instructions, because it felt incredibly unstable and top heavy. Even screwing the tightening screw on as tight as possible around ...

• the neck of the fan, it still always perpetually leans one direction or another, and when it’s on rotate, it almost rocks back and forth in place a bit. The grated cover over the fan has small slats that easily bend. We’ve been cleaning it a couple times and have accidentally bent the wire grate out of shape because it’s so moldable. We would try to bend a few pieces back just to have them snap off entirely, and that was after only a month of owning it.

In this case, it truly is a matter of getting what you pay for. I didn’t pay that much for this fan, and so I didn’t really get much. There’s nothing to ooh and ahh over where this fan is concerned. It’s certainly not attractive to look at by any stretch of the imagination, and

I’ve stubbed my toe on one of the four pronged feet that act as the stabalizing base more times than I care to count, but I have to say the most irritating part of this fan is the vibrating noise it makes because the grated covers, both front and back, and never really secured together tight enough, so they rattle as they fan goes. I like a little “white noise” when I’m trying to sleep, but this was just ridiculous if you ask me. We ended up having to twisty-tie the grates tightly closed to get it to stop. It’s been a functioning fan, and I suppose it’s been worth the $20, but I think I’ll invest in a more expensive model next time around because this one feels slightly not worth all the hassle, and certainly not worth the eye sore in my bedroom or living room.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5324051106290531/k2311a0524/5.24.10