Dairy Queen  » Restaurants  »
2.5
1501 N. Center St., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • Since it was such a nice day out this past Saturday, my wife and I decided to give the kids a treat and go to our local Dairy Queen
  • But, to be honest with you, I found myself a bit disappointed as well
  • Another problem I have with the Dairy Queen is all the seating is outside
  • First, there is a lake a few blocks away and, as a result, we usually have to avoid getting lake flies and other insects in our ice cream
  • But, I think most of those treats are going to be at the other ice cream place in town and not Dairy Queen

• by Review Vigilante

Since it was such a nice day out this past Saturday, my wife and I decided to give the kids a treat and go to our local Dairy Queen; which is only open during the warmer months. It turned out to be an OK experience. But, to be honest with you, I found myself a bit disappointed as well. We have two different places we can buy ice cream for the kids. One of them is Dairy Queen and the other is Blue Boy downtown.

Even though it is a bit more expensive and only takes cash, I probably would have preferred Blue Boy. Now, I will start out by saying the trip to Dairy Queen wasn’t terrible. The prices weren’t that bad and the people working inside were very friendly. The food was also brought to the window in a very prompt manner;

despite the number of people going through the drive thru (I still don’t know why they have that) and requiring attention.

However, there were some things I really didn’t like about the visit. First of all, the parking at the restaurant is very limited. This isn’t a huge deal. But, when it is busy, like it was Saturday, we usually have to park a couple blocks away and walk.

And, when you have a couple of kids like we do, that can sometimes be an adventure in itself. Another problem I have with the Dairy Queen is all the seating is outside. Normally, this isn’t going to be a big deal and I’m sure there are plenty of people reading that and wondering why I would complain. Well, there are a couple reasons.

First, there is a lake a few blocks away and, as ...

• a result, we usually have to avoid getting lake flies and other insects in our ice cream; especially if we make a trip there in the evening. The other reason is ice cream and extremely hot days (like Saturday) don’t mix very well. I actually prefer Blue Boy because you can eat indoors in an air conditioned room. The ice cream doesn’t melt before eaten that way.

And, believe me, a five-year-old cannot eat an ice cream cone fast enough in 90 degree weather. The thing that really disappointed me this time around though had to be the lack of selection offered at Dairy Queen. I’m actually not much of an ice cream person; especially on hot days. But, because I had skipped lunch, I was in the mood for some of their other food offerings.

In the past, that would include things like

hamburgers and chicken tenders. But, when I got there, I was shocked to see they didn’t offer anything like that any more. Perhaps they needed to cut back on their food choices or maybe it was still too early in the year for stuff like that. But, I wasn’t too happy that my only choice for non-ice cream food consisted of hotdogs, foot long hotdogs and a barbecue sandwich (which looked a lot like a sloppy joe).

Again, I could have gone to Blue Boy downtown and had dozens of different foods to choose from. Heck, I think even their ice cream selection is better. It’s going to be a long summer and I’m sure we will continue to treat the kids to ice cream like we did this past weekend. But, I think most of those treats are going to be at the other ice cream place in town and not Dairy Queen.

Dairy Queen

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 724051105660431/k2311a0524/5.24.10