She’s Always in My Hair song by Prince (old B-side single)  » Music  »
  • It is an amazing track and has always been my all-time favourite B-side of the Purple One
  • Let me try and put into words what is the ineffible experience of listening to this tune

• by jeanne71

She’s Always in my Hair is the B-side to Prince’s 1985 single, Paisley Park. It is an amazing track and has always been my all-time favourite B-side of the Purple One. I used to have the 12″ vinyl back in the day but in a fit of madness I got rid of all my vinyl (most were scratched to hell anyway) so until recently I had not heard it for

ages. I just discovered that there is the most amazing live version of She’s Always in my Hair on Youtube which you need to check out, seriously. Let me try and put into words what is the ineffible experience of listening to this tune.

It starts with a kind of crescendo of amazing sounds, the combination of which is wildly intoxicating; A slow, lolloping beat, the ‘plunk, plunk, plunk’ of keyboards ...

• similar to ‘The Beautiful Ones’ (if you know that one), and a mournful sounding lead guitar. This quietens down to Prince, singing in a deep, slightly depressing voice ‘Whenever I feel like giving up..Whenever my sunshine turns to rain’ etc……’She’s Always There’…’Telling me how much she cares’ etc. If you were to read the lyrics, you would think he was singing about something positive, but the beat and the tune
        and his voice is so dragging and mournful that you get the feeling that he does not want this woman to always be there. It is wonderfully ambiguous. It has a wonderful lead guitar solo break too which is equally mournful.

This tune actually gets me high. The single was great and the live version is amazing. This is not a pop song, this is a weird and wonderful song.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1424051105510431/k2311a0524/5.24.10