AT&T Uverse  » General services  »
1.0
  • They always give me extremely good rates and whenever I have a problem with them or their service, they are very quick to rectify it without much hassle on my part
  • I figured I couldn't really go wrong, but I still called the company and talked to a few people to make sure I was getting the best deal possible
  • Then she had the nerve to tell me it would cost an additional $30 a month to get the speed I had through Comcast
  • We transferred back to Comcast a month later and I don't think there's anything ATT can do to win us back

• by Anasuya

My husband called me at work a few weeks ago to tell me that a Uverse sales representative was at the door trying to sell us digital cable and internet service, and he didn’t know wether or not to take the man up on that deal. I told him to go ahead and schedule an installation appointment for the following week, which would give me enough time to really delve into it and investigate what kind of packages and prices they are offering. I’ve been a long time fan of Comcast Cable services, and have used nothing but this company for as long as I can remember.

They always give me extremely good rates and whenever I have a problem with them or their service, they are very quick to rectify it without much hassle on my part. But, it looked like uverse might possibly be offering a better package with more channels, high speed internet, a DVR, HBO free

for six months, and a $100 visa gift card if I kept the service for a month or longer.

I figured I couldn’t really go wrong, but I still called the company and talked to a few people to make sure I was getting the best deal possible. I was paying $90 a month for 70 channels, high speed internet and HBO through Comcast, including taxes, and it seemed that uverse was only going to charge me $10 more a month to take on the other 130 channels, including my favorite BBC America, and the DVR.

Not to mention that lovely gift card.

We had the installation guy come out and followed through with out appointment and it took that man almost six hours to complete the installation, and my house was pretty much a mess that whole time.

Granted, Comcast didn’t do much better a job than this guy did, but he still managed to walk around for at ...

• least an hour of that time acting like he wasn’t sure what he was supposed to be doing. And for two hours he couldn’t get the signal to sync or something so he had to fiddle with the moden to connect our internet.

So finally, my house is back in order and the installation guy left, and I jump online to finish doing the work I was in the middle of when he arrived to find out that it was taking AGES to move from page to page online. I was getting so frustrated with it that I called uverse right away, and I’d only had the service for an hour! They told me that the “high speed internet” I was paying more for than I was paying through Comcast was 3 mb of speed, compared to the 24 mb of speed I was used to with Comcast.

That was one lousy step up from dial-up! I couldn’t believe they

were charging me $10 more a month for internet service five times slower than what I previously had. Then she had the nerve to tell me it would cost an additional $30 a month to get the speed I had through Comcast.

I was irrate, but neglected to go through with that. I figured I would wait out the month, get my gift card and be on my way, though sadly, the gift card ended up going towards the $20 in taxes they tacked on to my bill, and the $30 installation fee.

And during that four week period, I was having serious issues with the cable as well. The DVR was great, but when I was home and ready to watch something, the cable was cutting in and out, interrupting not just the tv but also the internet.

It was a nightmare. We transferred back to Comcast a month later and I don’t think there’s anything ATT can do to win us back.

Manuel T. says :

I’ve had uverse for almost 3 years….at first i had my tv issues with them….But now it has been really good. Picture sound dvr vip2250 are all great. My hdmi is monster cable hdmi cable fron box to tv gives me a sharp picture. As for the internet service,,,no problem ( 45 mb ) So in closing i give it a 5 stars. Oh i have it hooked up to a surround sound system. Movie time is great time….i have the U450 Latino package. This is based on my own experience with AT T U-verse…

Manuel T. says :

re : Then she had the nerve to tell me it would cost an additional $30 a month to get the speed I had through Comcast
    Get the promos…as they always have promos…

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2524051105240431/k2311a0524/5.24.10