Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner  » Hardware  »
  • And I have to say that I�m not disappointed with this scanner�s performance
  • In my opinion, it produces excellent results at its maximum non-interpolated setting of 4800dpi, but you can increase this to 9600 or 12800, using the software's interpolation facility
  • I like the way the transparency holder is secure by a tiny lug on one side that slots into an equally tiny hole on edge of the scanner bed, which stops the transparency holder from moving about on the glass surface

• by Henry Tucker
      I recently bought an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner because I wanted to upgrade to a higher resolution scanner and I wanted one that would let me do high-resolution scan of the hundreds medium-format transparencies that I have from 25 years of travelling around the world. And I have to say that I�m not disappointed with this scanner�s performance.

In my opinion, it produces excellent results at its maximum

non-interpolated setting of 4800dpi, but you can increase this to 9600 or 12800, using the software’s interpolation facility.

Of course, increasing the output resolution also increases the scanning time quite substantially.

Just to give an example of the amount of time required for a scan at 4800dpi, a 6×6 transparency takes about five minutes to scan at 50% of its size.

I like the way the transparency holder is ...

• secure by a tiny lug on one side that slots into an equally tiny hole on edge of the scanner bed, which stops the transparency holder from moving about on the glass surface.

When scanning transparencies, a second light source is switched on, inside the lid, and shines down on the transparency to light up the picture enough for the scanner lens to capture at more or less the

right level of brightness and colour saturation.

When you’re scanning anything printed, you cover up this secondary light source by placing a white plastic plate on the underside of the scanner’s lid.

I say ‘more or less the right level’ because I find that the transparencies have a very slight bias towards red which I’m able to correct with the Photoshop Elements programme that’s bundled in with the Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner’s software.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 331212110510431/k2311a1212/12.12.06