Willie Revillame, Host of Wowowee  » People  »
ABS-CBN Network
  • He was non-stop, assisting those who needed him and giving the best of himself
  • I keep on looking at Willie’s face, looking for just the tiniest shadow of hypocrisy – which I thought would be easy to see for someone like me who doesn’t like him at all – but there was none
  • The show survived for more than 5 years, and as the controversies about Willie increased, I found myself watching his show from time to time

• by Naked Bodi

I never liked Willie Revillame even before the birth of Wowowee. I always found him arrogant and boastful. I also don’t like shows that promises to give money to its lucky audience – most were impoverished citizen of our country. I always believe that no matter how poor your country is – as long as there is no war – you don’t have to be hungry and lacking of basic necessities. It is always up to you.

When the Ultra Stampede happened on Wowowee’s first anniversary – cited to be the greatest death toll in a game show by Guinness World Records – killing 71 people including old and young children, I felt a mixture of sadness and anger. There was no injustice there, just hopelessness that brings this people to take a chance on the P20,000 pesos that will “rain” during the celebration for some lucky

audiences. Willie Revillame was criticized and accused of not caring enough for he was seldom seen shedding his tears, but it was then that my perception of Willie changed.

He was non-stop, assisting those who needed him and giving the best of himself. His voice was hoarse and he looked tired on TV, but he didn’t stop reaching out. He was blamed for the incident, since it was him that lured the people to get there and watch the show – it was one of the many job descriptions of a show host, after all. I keep on looking at Willie’s face, looking for just the tiniest shadow of hypocrisy – which I thought would be easy to see for someone like me who doesn’t like him at all – but there was none.

The show survived for more than 5 years, and as the controversies ...

• about Willie increased, I found myself watching his show from time to time. It never failed to make me laugh, not a single episode. It seldom failed to make me cry – hearing the inspiring stories of destitute people who still finds a way to reach out, of sons and daughters who expressed their love for their parents for the first time, in a national television. To my mind, the show became the medium for unspoken feelings our conservative upbringing suppressed.

The latest controversy was when Willie Revillame demanded that ABS-CBN Network terminate one of its talents, Jobert Sucaldito, a showbiz commentator, who criticized and belittled (on air) high school students who were contestants in his show over their failing marks in school. He also threatened to resign if ABS-CBN decided to keep him.

I always find Willie boastful and arrogant, and he is, but

I can’t understand the extensive hatred the elite and educated people took time to express over the internet. I heard one sidewalk vendor say that because the likes of her do not know how to use the computer, Willie may be ousted from the show without a chance, and she was teary-eyed!

Willie threatened the network on-air, not the other way around, and it was very, very wrong of him. He should have talked to the management in private and demand that they take an action against what he deemed is wrong. But Willie is a just like anyone else, with a temper that can rise to its limit. Now, Willie is asking the network for his release in their contract, with one and a half year to go. And I admire him for that, for honoring his words and standing by his principles.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5224051104160231/k2311a0524/5.24.10