Colombo Sliced Sweet French Bread
  • Its thickness and slightly tougher texture makes it a perfect bread for making French toast, in my opinion
  • The only problem I have is that sometimes there are large air holes all through the middle of this bread
  • But, I enjoyed this tasty trip down memory lane

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I haven’t had this bread in years. I think it’s because of the high price. I can’t seem to find it anywhere for less than four dollars, not even at Safeway. I picked up a loaf at a convenience store down the street only when I discovered to my horror that we were completely out of bread. The choices at that store are always extremely limited .It was either that or Wonderbread. We are Wonderbread haters in my family. So, I wasn’t about to sentence us all to a week’s worth of sandwiches made from that stuff just to save a couple of bucks.

Despite the

name, Colombo sweet French bread is not really sweet so much as it is not sour. For that reason I feel it’s a nice alternative to sour dough bread, for people that are not sourdough lovers. It also holds up really well for making sandwiches. I find that the cheaper potato bread that I usually use to make sandwiches with tends to tear when I go to cut the sandwich in half. Sometimes I’ll actually toast the bread a little bit first so this doesn’t happen. I find this is never necessary with French breads like Colombo. That’s a good thing, because it doesn’t really ...

• fit well in my toaster anyway. Actually, this bread is tasty enough to me that sometimes I just eat it plain with some softened butter spread on it.

Its thickness and slightly tougher texture makes it a perfect bread for making French toast, in my opinion. I haven’t done that in years, but I used to really enjoy it with this bread.

The only problem I have is that sometimes there are large air holes all through the middle of this bread. And of course, I don’t find out about it until I get it home. This happened when I went to buy it at the convenience

store. So, obviously that loaf wasn’t great for sandwiches because the mayonnaise would squish out. But, this doesn’t happen all that often in my recollection. Only with the odd loaf here and there.

Anyway, to save money I’m probably going to go back to my regular white loaves of potato bread for our sandwiches. But, I enjoyed this tasty trip down memory lane. Eating this bread reminds me of a time not too long ago when I chose gourmet everything and price was no object when it came to tasty food.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2723051103680431/k2311a0523/5.23.10