HTC G1 (Google Phone) from T-Mobile  » Phones  »
  • Later on, I decided it was time to right my wrong and get the G1 once and for all, due to all the great talk I'd heard about the Android platform as well as the phone's hardware
  • It's definitely behind the other phones that are out there now, like the Nexus One, the Motorola Droid, or even its successor the HTC myTouch, but taking into account that it was the first phone to feature the Google platform, it has done very well for itself in lasting the test of time
  • The only things I can complain about on this phone are the slow processor speed that makes it difficult for it to run some of the newer apps being developed for higher-end processors and still run smoothly and quickly, and the lack of a couple key features I think would have made this phone take the jump from great to phenomenal

• by Chrispy

The HTC G1, a.k.a the HTC Dream, a.k.a. the Google Phone. This phone was the first to be launched by T-Mobile running the Android platform - a platform that has since exceeded the iPhone in popularity. I had been excited about getting this phone ever since I heard about it. When I had the opportunity to get either the G1 or the Samsung Behold (a similar touch screen phone, running a simpler Java platform and not requiring a data plan to use), I chose the cheap route and got the latter. I was devastated.

Later on, I decided it was time to right my wrong and get the G1 once and for all, due to all the great talk I’d heard about the Android platform as well as the phone’s hardware. So I caved and got it. Best cave-in decision I’ve made yet.

The phone is great. It’s definitely behind the other phones that are out there now, like the Nexus One, the Motorola Droid, or even its successor the HTC myTouch, but taking into account that it was the first phone to feature the Google platform, it has done very well for itself in lasting the test of time. The phone’s hardware is great, the touch screen big and beautiful, and its capabilities endless.

My three favorite parts of the

phone are the Android operating system and its versatility and customizability, the large touch screen and its user-friendliness with even day-to-day functions within the phone’s interface, and the HARD QWERTY KEYBOARD. This final trait has been disappearing from a lot of the newer phones coming out, possibly in order to make the phones thinner and sleeker. I’ll take a hard keyboard over an on-screen keyboard - no matter how responsive or accurate - any day. The feeling of the keys beneath my eager thumbs and the ability to use muscle memory, acute touch sense and finger dexterity are priceless qualities in a phone that I wouldn’t want to see disappear from future phones of this caliber.

Despite all the newer, faster and much updated phones I could get, I’ve held on to the G1 instead of “upgrading” because I’m waiting for a phone that does all it can do. the 5-row QWERTY keyboard makes it very easy to type, which I do a LOT with texting, note taking and web browsing. Every other phone lucky enough to be gifted with a hard keyboard only has 4 rows. That fifth row adds so much more than you can imagine. Point in fact: Look at your keyboard. Go ahead. Look down. I’ll wait.

See how many rows of buttons there are? Function ...

• buttons (F1-F12) aside, you’ve got your numbers and symbols on the top row, your typing musts (letters, delete, enter) adorning the next three, and a space bar on the bottom row…large and accessible for a natural typing experience. The G1 has a similar layout, minimizing the need to press ALT or FN to access symbols or numbers. It just feels right.

Tragically, my phone has recently died on me. After countless hours of usage it had a very rare critical system glitch that I’m trying still to get resolved. This isn’t a review about T-Mobile’s or HTC’s customer service or warrantee exchange policy, so I’ll leave out the headache I’m having there, but it’s important to outline that while it is a great and very reliable phone, it is not invincible.

The only things I can complain about on this phone are the slow processor speed that makes it difficult for it to run some of the newer apps being developed for higher-end processors and still run smoothly and quickly, and the lack of a couple key features I think would have made this phone take the jump from great to phenomenal: a 35mm headphone jack and a LED flash on the camera. In all fairness, there is an adaptor you can purchase that will allow you to connect 35mm

headphones via the mini USB port, but that means while you’re listening to music you can’t charge your phone or connect it to a computer. On the subject of the camera, it’s really nothing to write home about even WITH an LED flash, but it gets the job done.

All-in-all, this phone takes the cake for my absolute favorite phone that I’ve owned yet. I’ve spent literally HOURS customizing this phone and making it my own, streamlined and efficient, and I am very sad that I have to be without it for however long this mess with the software malfunction takes to clean. If you love being connected to everything at all times including your friends, the endless annals of information found on the internet, or the world and how to get from point A to point B using the Google Maps and Google Navigation apps, or even if you just want a phone that you can download fun games and apps on, then this is the phone for you. Not just a phone - it’s a computer. It’s a companion. RIP, Gwenivere, you will be sorely missed.

(Yes, I named my phone. Gwenivere, shortened to Gwen, similar to G1. Get it? Let this be a testimony to my positive opinion of the device. Now go out and get one!)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3723051103430431/k2311a0523/5.23.10