Pipeline Theatre Company’s “Psycho Beach Party”  » Theatre  »
  • Their production, held at the Theaters at 45 Bleeker, was uproariously funny, filled with wit, sheer absurdity, and a young freshness

• by Kumalo

had the great honor and privilege of seeing this production of “Psycho Beach Party.” I’m a huge fan of the playwright, Charles Busch, who is an icon and a legend in the downtown theater scene, renowned and infamous for his themes of homosexuality, transexuality, and drag. He is, to put it bluntly, fabulous. This play in particular is a crazed romp on the sand, dripping in sexuality, youth, and multiple personality disorders.

Impossible to go wrong.

Pipeline Theatre Company is a group of young actors, barely out of college, trying to tackle Manhattan theater. Poor dears. What must their parents think? These young’uns are admirable in their folly, determined to make an impact and provide a fresh voice.

Their production, held at the Theaters at 45 Bleeker, was uproariously funny, filled with wit, sheer absurdity, and a young freshness. Brilliantly directed by ...

• Daniel Johnsen, the actors took full ownership of the stage, bringing the audience into a frenzy of mirthful tears. John Early, especially, shone as the innocent young Chicklet, whose only desire is to learn how to surf with the Great Kanaka. Shunned by the boys, who live for the beach bum lifestyle, Chicklet’s alternate personas take charge. Burdened by her overprotective mother’s sadistic measures, Chicklet finds a way to fight back and
        gain control, of not only the end of season luau, and not only of Malibu Beach. World domination is on one of her personality’s minds! The actors reveled in this world, a spoof of the Beach Party movies of the early 60’s. I had a blast. Way to make the theater a cool place to be!

My dear young thespians, I eagerly await your next performance! New York is yours for the taking!

Kate says :

Hello So a member of Pipeline Theatre Company recently discovered this, our secret review for April`s production Thank you so much We have a few shows coming up in the coming weeks that we would love to have you attend Our first show, Shakespeare the Dead is an original piece by one of our company members and will be performed as part of the Theater for the New City`s Dream Up Festival. For all further information, visit our website pipelinetheatre dot org I`m not allowed to have links here, I guess. Anyway, thanks so much for your kind words and we`d love to have you join us for our coming productions Best, Kate Manfre Marketing Director, Pipeline Theatre Company

Sydney Matthews says :

Hello, I work for Pipeline Theatre Company and would like to thank you so much for the review We would love to have your contact information so that you can possible review future shows, and keep updated with the company. Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you -Sydney Matthews sydneysmatthews gmail.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3223051103170331/k2311a0523/5.23.10