A Roman Holiday (1953)
  • Crouched in front of a grainy black and white TV screen, I like to pass the time as a nocturne by immersing myself in the old world
  • Little did I know the story tells the royal life of a princess who dreams of escaping her world
  • The subject has been commonly replicated today, but I found this to be the original blueprint of all princess films
  • It peeks into the boring life of royalty at the beginning and Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann tours around Europe which is rather one of her duties to boost diplomatic affairs
  • Audrey Hepburn is the Princess of all princess films and this is the best light-hearted chick flick in cinema’s history

• by jhunie

Just lately, I’ve been wondering why in my history of watching old films, I never sighted an Audrey Hepburn film in TCM, a channel repository for classic movies. Crouched in front of a grainy black and white TV screen, I like to pass the time as a nocturne by immersing myself in the old world. But I had not the slightest clue that you can actually watch the same films over the internet. The terms ‘video streaming’ register to mind – youtube, because of my not-so comprehensive understanding of the internet. I simply clicked a link where I was taken to a website called megavideo with a black theater-esque interface. From there, I was able to enjoy the entire movie from start to finish. I watched one of Audrey Hepburn’s finest portrayals in A Roman Holiday.

I had no idea about the movie’s storyline but the title seems a summative cue of it, overall. Little did I know the story tells the royal life of a princess who

dreams of escaping her world. Nevertheless, it wasn’t as complex as I had thought. The subject has been commonly replicated today, but I found this to be the original blueprint of all princess films. It peeks into the boring life of royalty at the beginning and Audrey Hepburn as Princess Ann tours around Europe which is rather one of her duties to boost diplomatic affairs. Princess Ann wants to run away from the pressure that fills her shoes. Short but effective, I believe that part of the movie highlighted Audrey Hepburn’s graceful portrayal of a princess that I find no other actress, perhaps can outdo.

Audrey’s rich tone and restrained demeanor was quite convincing. Then she decides to escape in order to experience a regular life in the Roman city, only for a short while. She meets Joe Bradley who works as a newsman covering the princess’ trip to Rome. What happens next is a funny unadulterated relationship between the characters. Joe soon figures out that ...

• he’s befriending a princess, sleeping in his flat. He opts to take the risk and keep her for his own advantage. My most favorite part of this film was when Princess Ann wakes up from a long meditated sleep while talking to Joe. The scene was essentially comic and Audrey dazzles me with her childish manner in a very natural way.

Joe was a good gentleman, escorting the princess around Rome while hoping to catch an utmost personal interview of his subject. The holiday moments were pure fun. The quaint Roman streets were wonderfully captured on film even though rendered in gray tones. It makes me want to visit Rome someday. The movie really featured the beautiful Roman spots like the fountain of four rivers and the Tiber riverside with a chaotic scene. The general mood of these places was both sunny and carelessly happy. The couple realizes they’re falling in love with each other. Princess Ann returns to her normal life.

And the movie ends

in a realistic tone. It simply closed with Princess Ann talking to the press, Joe included where a few lines were spoken by each actors while the emotional tension deepens. It reveals that they both pretend to not know each other. The flow and cinematography of that particular scene was brilliant with Joe leaving the venue then the movie ends. I appreciate this story very much because it didn’t end up in a silly whimsical fairytale. The film was reality-bound, and that bitter ending adds depth to all the funny moments. It’s like a similar drill to European films these days that care not to impress but to objectively tell the story. I thought A Roman Holiday was a good balance of love, American comedy and beautiful scenery. Audrey Hepburn is the Princess of all princess films and this is the best light-hearted chick flick in cinema’s history. Hence, I certainly recommend this movie.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1123051102660231/k2311a0523/5.23.10