Crate And Barrel Silicone Baking Cups, 12 Pk
1.5
  • I found that I kept accidentally squishing them between my fingers which caused the batter to spill over the sides
  • I know it seems wasteful to use them, but they’re really one of the more perfect inventions as far as bake ware goes
  • Unfortunately, they were a less than perfect fit and kept trying to pop out of the silicone cups
  • In my opinion, these silicone cups did nothing for me that a cupcake pan and some paper baking cups couldn’t do better
  • I still love the stuff, love the bright colors it comes in, but I now realize it’s not necessarily the best material for every application

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

A couple years ago I was crazy for silicone and decided everything I cooked would be better with that material. At the same time I was caught up in the cupcake craze that seems to be still going strong to this day. I was really excited when I came across these individual silicone cupcakes from one of my favorite stores for kitchen ware, Crate and Barrel.

I had no doubts that my cupcakes would come out better by using these silicone cups. Flexible and strong, able to withstand high temps and reusable. What could be better?

What I discovered is flexible does not always mean better when it comes to bake ware. First of all, I had a little trouble filling these. Because they’re individual containers rather than a single cupcake pan, my tendency was to pick them up to fill them. I found

that I kept accidentally squishing them between my fingers which caused the batter to spill over the sides. I then decided it was best to put the cups on a baking sheet first and fill them with batter without picking them up. That seemed to work slightly better, but it was still a bit awkward.

The cupcakes baked up nice enough and I was really looking forward to enjoying them. But, then I made the discovery that I do not enjoy eating cake out of silicone. And peeling away the silicone to release the cupcakes didn’t work so great because I had to dig them out with my fingers, which of course caused the fragile cake to break up. Then I remembered all the things I loved about using the disposable paper baking cups. I know it seems wasteful to use them, but ...

• they’re really one of the more perfect inventions as far as bake ware goes. They work well, help keep the bottom of the cake moist and the thin paper is easy to peel away as I eat the cake. Not so much with the silicone version.

So, what I did was try again, this time using the silicone cups with the paper baking cups inside. Unfortunately, they were a less than perfect fit and kept trying to pop out of the silicone cups. It was a bit of a hassle really. Still, I made it work and I was able to make a decent batch of cupcakes this way.

In my opinion, these silicone cups did nothing for me that a cupcake pan and some paper baking cups couldn’t do better. Lastly I would say that these were difficult to hand wash because the

cooked batter got stuck in the crevices of the fluting and what’s more they took a long time to air dry. In short, I feel it’s admirable that they tried to make a reusable baking cup for cupcakes, but in my opinion it just didn’t work out that great. I can’t bring myself to let go of them yet, because they are very cute, but the fact is I haven’t used them once in over two years.

I would say that as a consumer at least I learned something. Because of this experience, I am a little more savvy now when it comes to silicone bakeware. I still love the stuff, love the bright colors it comes in, but I now realize it’s not necessarily the best material for every application.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5321051101020231/k2311a0521/5.21.10