Microplane Rasp Grater From Williams Sonoma
  • What I love it most for is grating sticky things like lemon and lime zest
  • I like it for quickly grating a bunch of parmesean to go into a dish
  • I think its length makes it a bit awkward for using at the table
  • I prefer just to grate the cheese into a bowl and serve it that way or use a shorter paddle style grater
  • I noticed the new ones have a slightly different new and improved handle

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I got my Microplane grater at Williams Sonoma about three years ago. I use it all the time. What I love it most for is grating sticky things like lemon and lime zest. I can scoop up every bit of zest by running my finger along the channel on the back side of the grater where that stuff tends to collect. That means I can get every bit of what I’m grating into my food. With a regular cheese grater this is more difficult. I often lose some of the zest in the process because it gets hopelessly caught up in the teeth of the grater. That means I have to grate more lemons or limes than I need to which seems kind of wasteful.

I like it for quickly grating a bunch of parmesean to go into a dish. My mom actually likes to bring the thing to her kitchen table for grating additional cheese on top of pasta. That’s where

she and I differ. I think its length makes it a bit awkward for using at the table. Also, the end of it sometimes winds up in the food she’s trying to add grated parmesean to as well as all over the table. I think it’s slightly unwieldy for table use. I prefer just to grate the cheese into a bowl and serve it that way or use a shorter paddle style grater.

I just love how easy this thing is to clean. As long as I’m careful to go with in the direction of the angled holes instead of against them I’m not in any danger of grating my kitchen sponge as I’m cleaning the grater. That’s a big problem I’ve had with traditional graters. And, gone are the days of desperately trying to remove glued on dried on parmesean cheese from a grater and possibly grating off my knuckles in the process.

Also, this grater seems to be practically ...

• indestructible. And, I cannot believe there is not any visible rust at all after three years. My other box style grater that’s just a little bit older has oxidized and rusted horribly and looks like something that belongs in an antique store. This thing on the other hand remains sharp and shiny and looks almost as it did when I first bought it.

For me, the only real downside to this grater is that it can only grate things super fine. When I grate parmesean with it, it’s so fine that it has a fluffy texture to it. Sometimes I want the pieces to be larger so I can taste them and feel the texture, rather than creating a mountain of cheese flavored snow. So, while it is a vast improvement over them in many ways, sadly it does not replace traditional graters in all instances. I can’t imagine using it for grating cheddar cheese or carrots, for example.

All in all, this

is a wonderful tool for any kitchen in my opinion. It definitely makes some of the prep work involved with grating hard cheeses and citrus zest a whole lot easier and quicker for me. At under fifteen dollars I believe the price is more than reasonable for a product that seems to last so well. I think one of these is a must have for anyone who cooks regularly, and especially for people who cook pasta dishes a lot and likes to grate their own cheese and citrus zest.

I noticed the new ones have a slightly different new and improved handle. That’s cool, but I’ve had no problems at all with my old one so I’m sticking with what I got. Like I said, it appears to be practically indestructible. At this rate, it may well be the first and last rasp grater I ever own.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5321051100970231/k2311a0521/5.21.10