Morton Kosher Salt  » Food  »
  • When I bought this box of Morton Kosher Salt somehow, I didn’t think it would be any different than rock salt
  • I know I’m not supposed to do this but I’ve actually seasoned meat successfully with this stuff after I’ve cooked it
  • Lastly, I think because of the fun flaky texture I enjoy sprinkling it on things and it makes cooking even everyday foods feel like less of a grind
  • I like the box the Morton Kosher Salt comes in
  • It’s very cute and retro and I love how it looks hanging out in my little 1940s kitchen

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I have been cooking practically my whole life with regular table salt. I’ve actually just recently started cooking again. I come across recipes all the time that call for kosher salt to be used and I always ignore this and continue with my regular salt.

Finally I caved. I needed to know what the big deal was with kosher salt. When I bought this box of Morton Kosher Salt somehow, I didn’t think it would be any different than rock salt. I used to buy rock salt for making homemade bath salts. I couldn’t imagine cooking with it. So, for whatever reason that’s what I was expecting this salt to

be like.

Boy, was I wrong. For anyone else who’s never tried this stuff it is not like rock salt, sea salt or table salt. Instead of granules it’s more like little flakes of salt. It’s awesome because it really melts right into food. I love using this stuff. I know I’m not supposed to do this but I’ve actually seasoned meat successfully with this stuff after I’ve cooked it. This is great for me because I’m just getting back into cooking and I often forget to do things like seasoning my meat before I cook it. Another thing that’s great about kosher salt is it’s less salty, meaning I’m far less likely to over season my foods. That’s kind of making me think of the cooking shows that I watch. A lot of times I find myself thinking, gosh that’s a lot of salt she’s sprinkling on there. But now, I’m realizing that they aren’t over seasoning the food, because they’re probably using kosher salt. Lastly, I think because of the fun flaky texture I enjoy sprinkling it on things and it makes cooking even everyday foods feel like less of a grind. I guess sometimes the simplest things can make working in the kitchen less lonely.

I like the box the Morton Kosher Salt comes in. In a way I ...

• Morton Kosher Salt
      think I even like it better than the Morton classic table salt container. Maybe it’s because being a rectangular shaped box, I can see the design better. It’s very cute and retro and I love how it looks hanging out in my little 1940s kitchen. The only thing that I’d like to see changed is the pour spout. I’d like it if it were both a little bigger and a little sturdier. It’s somewhat flimsy and sometimes I pull out completely without meaning to and I have to push it back in.

One thing that I really like is everywhere on the box there are recipes and helpful suggestions for

how to use kosher salt. The Morton website is listed too. I checked it out and it has tons of tasty looking recipes. They really do everything they can to convince me that kosher salt will make me a better cook. I’m starting to believe them.

I’ve had my Morton Kosher Salt for about a week and I have such a good time using it, especially seasoning meat. I’m excited to follow their suggestions on the box and use it in lots of other ways too. For, instance I’m looking forward to tasting my first kosher salt rimmed margarita. That’ll be fun.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2720051100050431/k2311a0520/5.20.10