Epson Stylus Color 740 Printer  » Hardware  »
  • He was about to put it in the recycling center when I thought I could actually use this printer upstairs in the small study I have set up for myself
  • Last week, it ran out of black ink and the printer won’t work unless the problem was addressed (flashing button)

• by bethbarl

I inherited this printer from my husband as he decided to get a multi-functional printer as part of the upgrading and rationalization efforts we have been doing in this house. This was originally used for the Macintosh desktop which we still keep because it has a lot of documents and files in it. He was about to put it in the recycling center when I thought I could actually use this printer upstairs in the small study I have set up for myself.

In the beginning, I did not really like using this printer as it makes noises. I was not sure that it will print documents. Whenever I use it in the Mac, it always takes time before the documents get printed. I actually changed my mind when I got this connected to my laptop.

It is a small printer which is not heavy

to move around. I find it so easy to use this as when I connect its USB cable to my laptop, it immediately searches for the appropriate hardware. No installation of programs had to be done and I can immediately print documents. I soon put it to good use as I have been printing documents to support the applications for my kids’ next school. Having a printer connected to my laptop saves me a lot of time from going up and down the stairs to the main study in the living room just to get my files printed.

There are very few buttons on the printer itself - one for switching on the machine, another for feeding paper and the last one for rebooting the printer when there are paper jams or when the inks runs out. Last week, it ran out ...

• of black ink and the printer won’t work unless the problem was addressed (flashing button).

In this regard, it really is an uncomplicated printer. I saw that it was for black ink and fortunately, I also got the replacement cartridge on hand when I received the printer. I thought it would be tricky to change the ink cartridge but when I opened the cover, everything I needed to know is illustrated and can be followed easily at the back cover. I just took out the old one, put a new cartridge in, press the flashing button and the printer works again. There is even a cleaning function which I activated because the first result I got was streaked. After fixing it, there was no problem whatsoever with the printer.

Loading the paper is easy as well, a stack of A4 paper (50 pages) can be fed

in its external tray. I have been using it now for nearly a month and I have yet to find any problems with it.

Perhaps, the only fault I can find at the moment is that the ink cartridges are quite expensive at € 34,50 for a color one and around € 32 for a black ink. Other than this, the rest works well. I have not even experienced paper jams and the quality of print results is good.

To sum it up, this is an easy printer which I am happy to receive as a hand me down. I have not yet tried printing photos from it but for my ordinary documents, this printer is one of the handiest and easiest to use. I have no complaints whatsoever and I would not hesitate to mention this as a reliable and trouble-free printer.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3320051099920431/k2311a0520/5.20.10