M-Audio Axiom 61  » Electronics  »
  • If you're into making music on the computer and ready to buy some equipment to help with the creation process I definitely recommend getting one of these
  • Enigma is a bit of a pain to use in my opinion and has crashed a few times for me
  • I think this is a great mid-level device and perfect for someone that wants to have a lot of controls at their fingertips

• by Composer

I’ve had my M-Audio Axiom 61 for about 8 months now and I’ve used it almost everyday. If you’re into making music on the computer and ready to buy some equipment to help with the creation process I definitely recommend getting one of these.

This thing has a ton of features; 9 sliders, 8 knobs, 8 drum pads, transport controls, aftertouch, tons of buttons, pitch bend and modulation wheels. I’m pretty sure the space shuttle has fewer knobs and dials than

this.

One of the first things you’ll notice when you pick one of these up is how heavy it is. If you ever give up on making music this will do just fine as weight equipment. It has an extremely sturdy feel though and there’s no way this will move around on your desk while you’re playing it.

The keys are semi-weighted, which is a bit odd to use at first. They have a really nice response and feel to them though.

• They travel smoothly and when you press them all the way down it makes a slight click sound which is for the aftertouch feature. The only negative about the keys I can find is that they’re a bit loud when you play them.

You can use the Axiom 61 with almost any DAW(Digital Audio Workstation). There’s a program called “Enigma” from M-Audio to load presets onto your Axiom 61 to have all the buttons automatically work in the program you’re using. Enigma

is a bit of a pain to use in my opinion and has crashed a few times for me. I’m on Windows 7 so at least there were no drivers to be installed.

Overall I’d absolutely recommend this especially for the price you can find it at. It can do just about anything that more expensive models can do. I think this is a great mid-level device and perfect for someone that wants to have a lot of controls at their fingertips.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1618051096920831/k2311a0518/5.18.10