Avia i-Shape Toning Sneakers  » Health  »
  • It was the best money I’ve spent in a long time
  • Hordes of podiatrists must agree with my estimation, because according to Avia, the i-Shape is the first toning shoe to win approval by the American Podiatric Medical Association

• by westygirl

I’m usually skeptical about products that claim to increase my fitness level or augment my physique (spam emails for breast enlargement, anyone?) so I was initially hesitant to lay out the cash for my spiffy new Avia i-Shapes.

It was the best money I’ve spent in a long time.

The i-Shape is the most comfortable fitness shoe I’ve ever worn, and I’m quite fussy about my footwear. I’m a dedicated Birkenstock wearer as I need and crave arch support and have wide feet. These concerns are more than address by my i-Shapes. They do offer women’s wide-width sizes with

generously roomy toe boxes, and the inner arch support is wonderful. Previous sneakers have left my feet and arches aching and sore after a 2-mile walk and these do not. They run very true to size with a nice, snug heel fit, something that was lacking in other toning shoes I tried. The Avias are amazingly light weight and easy to wear, as well.

You can’t help but gain a spring in your step when wearing these shoes. They really are quite fun to use and I felt like I was prancing at first. Like most toning shoes, the outersole is markedly curved and a bit chunky with a super-cushioned heel strike area. You feel no jarring on your knees when your foot hits the pavement, and the rocking motion of the outersole literally springs you through your step. Hordes of podiatrists must agree with my estimation, because according to Avia, the i-Shape is the first toning shoe to win approval by the American Podiatric Medical Association.

The one possible negative about these shoes is the cuteness quotient—like all toning shoes, the Avias are quite chunky and although they tried to gussy them up with pearlized white leather, sparkly reflecting trim and subtle ...

• Avia i-Shape Toning Sneakers
      color inserts, they are, after all, fitness shoes and will not be winning any style awards anytime soon. They do make me appear taller, though, and Avia gets points for that!

So, does the Avia i-Shape live up to its hype? I haven’t owned mine long enough to report about inches lost/gained, but there are some immediate benefits. My posture is much improved in these shoes. I’m standing taller, and I can feel my abs working to maintain my balance even when not striding. I can feel previously unused muscles complaining, and I do feel it somewhat in my butt.

But the most significant effect is this: I walk more. I look forward to walking in these shoes. The Avia i-Shape has made walking fun for me, so I do it more, and am realizing better health and fitness because of them.

As I said, this was the best purchase I’ve made in a while. Maybe the US government should give them out as part of our new health plan and get everyone off their couches and into some Avia i-Shapes!

I give the i-Shapes a 9, with a point shaved off for the slightly orthopedic look to them.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3418051096900831/k2311a0518/5.18.10