IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T61  » Laptops  »
  • Even when it kicks onto it's highest setting while playing a game it isn't an annoyance in my opinion
  • I thought the lid would have more of a rubberized feel but it has almost slipped out of my hands a few times when I went to set it down
  • Also the video card leaves a bit to be desired, it's definitely better than the default Intel X3100 some T61 models have but you won't be playing the latest greatest games on this
  • I think the only other negative for me would be the built-in speakers, they don't get nearly loud enough

• by Composer

IBM Lenovo Thinkpads are generally considered to be some of the most durable and reliable laptops available on the market. NASA solely uses them on the International Space Station and for their ground operations so IBM/Lenovo must be doing something right. The Thinkpad T61 is no exception to this mentality of reliability. Here’s what my T61 is equipped with:

* Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 - 2.2ghz 4MB L2 cache * 2GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM @667MHz * 80GB 5400RPM SATA HDD * DVD+R/-R drive * 14.1″ LCD 1440×900 * NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140m - 128MB DDR3 * Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit installed * 6-cell Li-Ion Battery

-Build- First off I have to say that the system itself is very durable and feels quite solid in your hands. The plastic doesn’t feel at all cheap. Appearance wise it’s nothing special to look at. In fact numerous

people that have seen it told me they thought it looked like a much older system. So perhaps muggers will pass on stealing your elderly looking laptop. Which is a plus depending on where you live, people in New Jersey rejoice.

Something else to note is the system fan, it’s one of the quietest fans I’ve ever heard in a laptop. Even when it kicks onto it’s highest setting while playing a game it isn’t an annoyance in my opinion. The keyboard is responsive and a joy to use and the mouse buttons don’t make a loud “click” sound which I’m very thankful for.

-Screen- The screen is very bright at max setting but can sometimes be difficult to see outside in direct sunlight. Though thankfully the screen isn’t glossy like many other brands of laptops these days so at least you won’t have to ...

• deal with reflections. The resolution is absolutely wonderful too, it offers plenty of real estate for icons and text on the screen.

-Performance- This is really the most important part when buying a new laptop. I find that Windows 7 runs amazingly well on it and is extremely responsive. I never sit and wait for a screen to load. I use it to render videos and mix music with Cubase and it’s plenty powerful to handle these demanding tasks. I ran a few cycles of 3dmark05 and it consistently pulls in around 3500~ points at default settings. Battery life is average I usually get about 2-3 hours depending on what I’m doing.

-Overall- I’m quite happy with this purchase so far. The system has been able to handle everything I’ve thrown at it. Given the chance I would make this purchase again.

To point out some

negatives, when the laptop is closed it’s a bit “slippery”. I thought the lid would have more of a rubberized feel but it has almost slipped out of my hands a few times when I went to set it down. I have the grip of Superman too so I’m blaming the laptop. Also the video card leaves a bit to be desired, it’s definitely better than the default Intel X3100 some T61 models have but you won’t be playing the latest greatest games on this. Half-Life 2 and those types of games work great though. I think the only other negative for me would be the built-in speakers, they don’t get nearly loud enough. I’ve gone on Youtube to playback some videos for people and they’ve asked “Can you turn it up?” while the audio was maxed out so that’s something else to consider. For the price and reliability though you really can’t beat it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6317051096261031/k2311a0517/5.17.10