Mr. Darcy’s Diary by Amanda Grange  » Books  »
  • I recommend reading this book with the original Pride and Prejudice on hand, so you can cross-reference the dialogues between Darcy and Lizzy
  • I reread several times some chapters and important scenes in the original because I wanted to get that feeling of wholeness (since I know now what Darcy was thinking and doing

• by Darcy

I love this book from beginning to end. The whole story of Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” is retold from Darcy’s point of view. It begins sometime before Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet’s first meeting, and it continues into a few months after their wedding.

I recommend reading this book with the original “Pride and Prejudice” on

hand, so you can cross-reference the dialogues between Darcy and Lizzy. With “Mr. Darcy’ Diary” readers are able to know Darcy’s thoughts and his side of the events, which Jane Austen often omits in the story. So Darcy’s diary fills the gaps. Of course there are many dialogues and scenes that have to be created.

• And I think Ms. Grange has done a great job in making Darcy and Lizzy’s characters consistent. Her style is witty and humorous; some lines even make me laugh out loud. Her imagery is lively and conversation realistic.

The most important thing is, this book makes me appreciate the original even more. I reread several times

some chapters and important scenes in the original because I wanted to get that feeling of “wholeness” (since I know now what Darcy was thinking and doing!)

If you love “Pride and Prejudice” and can’t get enough of it, I highly recommend “Mr. Darcy’s Diary”. It is a brilliant complementary reading to the classic “Pride and Prejudice”.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1717051096171031/k2311a0517/5.17.10