“Nine” the movie 2010  » Movies  »
  • Perhaps they did it a bit better than I think, but I have heard that the play won several awards, and I cannot see the movie doing the same
  • I found the opening scenes and character setup to be a bit confusing and often seemed to drag on and on
  • It seemed as if there was going to be a crescendo and epic happy ending but then it just stopped, rather predictably, and left us assuming the best had happened
  • I enjoyed watching Nine but as my friend watching with me said, Something was missing

• by reviewabit

I rented the musical “Nine” because of it’s stars– in particular, Nicole Kidman and Penelope Cruz, two of my favorites. I had seen Kidman in Moulin Rouge so I knew she could pull off a musical. I was a bit disappointed in the film.

Now I have to admit, I have never seen the stage production of Nine so I do not know how to compare the translation to film. Perhaps they did it a bit better than I think, but I have

heard that the play won several awards, and I cannot see the movie doing the same.

I found the opening scenes and character setup to be a bit confusing and often seemed to drag on and on. The way the plot was handled, I felt it lacked a lot of emotional detail.

There were a few memorable and catchy songs, and over all the music and choreography were great, but they failed many times to really reveal the characters. Nicole Kidman’s part was terribly ...

• shallow and limited for an actress of her caliber.

Penelope Cruz as the Italian filmmaker’s mistress had a bit more depth and drew the most empathy. Parts of the film were done in a confusing flashback style, much easier to do on film than stage– so I’d be interested in knowing how these scenes were used in the stage play.

Fergie’s appearance as the prostitute from Guido’s past was a pretty good element in one of those flashbacks. The production in Nine reminded

me of Chicago.

I would have preferred seeing something more akin to Moulin Rouge, which was given more “movie element” to pad out what cannot be shown outside of the stage. I thought the costumes were nice.

The ending felt a bit flat. It seemed as if there was going to be a crescendo and epic “happy ending” but then it just stopped, rather predictably, and left us assuming the best had happened.

I enjoyed watching Nine but as my friend watching with me said, “Something was missing. ”

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1116051095450431/k2311a0516/5.16.10