Howard Butcher Block Conditioner  » Housewares  »
  • I love my butcher block kitchen island, but people might not believe that if they saw what it looked like a couple of weeks ago
  • My butcher block table was actually not new when I bought it
  • I always had the idea of reconditioning the wood, but I think I was a little intimidated about the process
  • The problem is in my house, there doesn’t ever seem to be a twelve hour period of time where someone isn’t using it
  • Instant gratification and fool proof is a good combo in my house, and I definitely recommend it to busy people who have been neglecting their butcher block kitchen islands

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I love my butcher block kitchen island, but people might not believe that if they saw what it looked like a couple of weeks ago. My butcher block table was actually not new when I bought it. I got it for a song at a consignment shop, and it was already grayed out and weathered when I bought it. I always had the idea of reconditioning the wood, but I think I was a little intimidated about the process.

The way I understood it, you’re supposed to condition the butcher block with pure

mineral oil, and then let it sit on top for twelve hours, then wipe it off. The problem is in my house, there doesn’t ever seem to be a twelve hour period of time where someone isn’t using it. I don’t know that I could trust anyone to remember not to put anything on it for that long.

I found this butcher block conditioner at OSH. It has the thick gloppy consistency of Vaseline. I kind of like that, because it’s not going to run or drip like pure mineral oil would. It says to put in on warm for better penetration to the wood, but I skipped that step. I did the quicky version. I slathered it on, waited the 20 minute minimum and rubbed it off. That was two weeks ago. My new old butcher block still looks great. It’s nice, because my butcher block is literally the centerpiece of my kitchen. Also, it has a nice subtle sheen that I don’t know I would get if I just used mineral oil. I think you only get that with waxes.

Anyway, the thing I ...

• Howard Butcher Block Conditioner
      like most about this product is that it’s so ridiculously easy to use. In fact, I think a child could be trained do it. I actually just found myself with a few minutes to spare at the end of the day and treated the sides of the butcher block top, which I had neglected to do before. It only took minutes. Also, the fact that it says it exceeds FDA standards for food safety makes me confident that I can use it as much as I like without wondering if I’m poisoning
      us. Of course, mine is just a little 19 by 21 inch top. I suppose if all my countertops were butcher block it could get pricey to use this product. I’m sure there are cheaper, homegrown methods for conditioning butcher blocks but I love the convenience and ease of use with Howard.

Instant gratification and fool proof is a good combo in my house, and I definitely recommend it to busy people who have been neglecting their butcher block kitchen islands.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5316051095440431/k2311a0516/5.16.10