Jennifer Kries’ Pilates Method Precision Pilates DVD  » Health  »
  • Having enjoyed Jennifer Kries’ Pilates Method 3 Dimensional Toning, I went back and grabbed a copy of her Pilates Method Precision Pilates
  • While there is nothing wrong with this 1st workout, I think I prefer the style of the opening sequence of the 3 Dimensional Toning DVD
  • I find it interesting that the lower body workout has so many moves that I thought I would find in the Yoga segment of the last chapter

• by Jude244

Having enjoyed Jennifer Kries’ Pilates Method 3 Dimensional Toning, I went back and grabbed a copy of her Pilates Method Precision Pilates. Kries, credited as bringing Pilates to the masses, really stands apart in a field now saturated with Pilates wannabes. Due to her extensive fitness training, dance background, and lifetimes work with mind-body arts, Kries is undoubtedly one of the most influential and well respected master instructors of our time.

Precision Pilates contains not one but three 20 minute workouts. Here you have a choice of Upper Body Sculpting, Lower Body Sculpting, and a third choice of Flow and Flexibility. Although it is not required, the upper body workout does have an optional use of light weights.

Interestingly, this workout begins with the same word-for-word

introduction found on the other DVD. The only difference appears when Kries, goes into the specifics of each segment of this DVD.

Here we learn that the first workout will firm the arms, shoulders, and upper back, and that the second workout targets the muscles of the hips, buttocks, legs to create long dancer-like lines. For the last workout, Kries informs us that we will be enhancing and increasing our range of motion and flexibility with yoga stretching techniques and dance movements.

The upper body workout starts with a warm up that uses both the upper and lower body. Filmed on the same Grecian set, this DVD begins quite similarly to the 3 Dimensional Toning DVD. Here we do moves such as body rolls in plies position, and then swan dives forward into prayer position.

Next we pick up our weights, and go into the Pilates standing series. Here we learn about self imposed isometric position, and we begin with a bicep curls at shoulder height, and then strong man lifts. Next we go into triceps extensions, and then chest expansions.

While there is nothing wrong with this 1st workout, I think I prefer the style of the opening sequence of the 3 Dimensional Toning DVD.

In the interest of time, I then jumped ahead to the Lower body Sculpting workout to see what that would entail. We start with some classic sun salutations from yoga which included swan dives. Then we did a lunge, went into a plank,

• Jennifer Kries' Pilates Method Precision Pilates DVD
      and then into a cobra, all in the span of a few seconds. We also did a downward facing dog and then a lunge, swan dive up, prayer position and then we repeated the sequence.

We next did a “off the chair” move followed by a swan dive, and then a lunge, plank, and a cobra followed. I find it interesting that the lower body workout has so many moves that I thought I would find in the Yoga segment of the last chapter. I pictured something different for this sculpting workout though.

Once again we perform the last sequence from the top. Next we went into the lunge series with a full lunge and then a back bend in lunge position. The remainder of the

workout featured moves that focused on core stability and balance.

The third and final workout begins with and introduction that explains how stretching is as important as cardiovascular exercise, and how the workout uses dance movements to help perform the stretches. Here we do side stretch spiraling body rolls, plies/bent over stretches, and a number of high leg lifts taken from ballet. We also do more lunge and hamstring stretches. I liked the Flow and Flexibility workout although some of the moves were pretty intense for a beginner.

Once again another great Pilates Method DVD, I guess I will have to go back to look for the third workout from this series. If you’d like to try it, it is available on Amazon for 13.49 USD.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3416051095370431/k2311a0516/5.16.10