Polar Block Four-Sided Acrylic Soft Buffer  » Health  »
  • While I enjoyed the treatment, I was somewhat embarrassed by the terrible condition of my nails after my old polish was removed
  • While I usually just wear more dark polish to hide the condition, in essence I was just prolonging the problem as the more I tried to hide it the worse my nails became
  • I would not recommend using the Polar Block more than once a month

• by Jude244

Recently a friend of mine treated me to a French manicure at her favorite salon. While I enjoyed the treatment, I was somewhat embarrassed by the terrible condition of my nails after my old polish was removed.

Apparently after years of wearing dark polish, my nails had become stained and yellowed by the dark pigments found in the polish. While I usually just wear more dark polish to hide the condition, in essence I was just prolonging the problem as the more I tried to hide it the worse my nails became.

After expressing my frustration to the manicurist, she let me in on a few trade secrets. Though unsightly, the yellowing of the nails from dark nail polish, dyes, and cigarette nicotine is fairly common. Though composed of hard keratin,

the nails are quite porous; as a result their appearance can easily be affected by chemical solutions.

In the short time it took the manicurist to fix my nail concerns, and give me a great manicure, I also learned how I could keep them yellow free forever. To start with, she used a nail implement that I had never seen before to remove all traces of the surface stain. The special tool she used was called a Polar Block.

A Polar Block is a four-sided acrylic soft buffer. It is often used to prepare the nail for a manicure once the original polish has been removed. The block when used correctly can remove all traces of surface yellowing from the nail plate. I kid you not; within minutes of her buffing my ...

• nails the previous staining was gone. While you might imagine that most buffers would do this, you would only be partially correct.

Traditionally a buffer will smooth the nail plate by removing ridges and then polishing it to a glossy high shine. While buffers do improve the apparent smoothness of the nail, they will not remove surface staining like the Polar Block.

The Polar Block sort of reminds me of a sander. It has a gritty feel to it and leaves a powdery residue behind. When you first use it on your nails, they will look very rough and you may actually wonder if you have ruined them. Not to worry though, once the Polar Bar is used, you can then polish the nails, or use a regular buffer to smooth

out the surface.

It is important to note that too frequent use of the Polar Block may result in nail thinning, and more frequent breakage. I would not recommend using the Polar Block more than once a month. Ideally, it is most beneficial to remove surface stains the first time you use it, and then to use base coats or special primers such as Yellow Stop; to help to keep the yellow from coming back.

As it is not used very often, one Polar Block will last an incredibly long time. I have used mine a few times now and it shows absolutely no signs of wear. If you’d like to try this invaluable buffer, look for it at your local Sally Beauty Store, or order it online from their website.

Reported prices :
    0.75 USDsallys
    olympia,wa

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3416051095340431/k2311a0516/5.16.10