Claritin RediTabs Non-Drowsy 24 Hour Allergy,Orally Disintegrating Tablets
  • Little did we know it would also cost $20 for 12 tablets, which was just ridiculous
  • It's an exhausting problem that goes on for months at a time, usually in the spring and fall
  • I found that after only five or six hours, however, the effectiveness was beginning to wear off
  • I couldn't help but be a little more disappointed in it than I had prepared myself for, simply because of the cost

• by Anasuya

Claritin is one of those well-known allergy medications that made a big splash when they announced it would be available in stores without a prescription. Little did we know it would also cost $20 for 12 tablets, which was just ridiculous. Granted, they’ve improved on the prices since they first released it, and doubled the amount of pills for the same price, but it’s still a hefty fee. However, when you consider how easily attainable it is now, for some it might be worth the cost. And, for a while, that someone was me. I went a couple years after first moving to Michigan, without medical insurance at all, but my allergies finally drove me to the doctor because they were so severe. I would have sinus headaches

that would have me cringing in a darkened room for hours on end, with little relief in sight. It’s an exhausting problem that goes on for months at a time, usually in the spring and fall. The itchy eyes, nose and throat are always bad and usually leave me looking red and irritated (and irritated I was, let me tell you!). My doctor prescribed me Claritin, but I could never afford afford to refill it until the glorious day it became available without a prescription. I was thrilled.

Claritin reditabs is a non-drowsy formula, though so was the prescription version I have. The main difference between the two was the dosage strength. The over-the-counter variety wasn’t as strong a dosage as the prescription, which is to be expected ...

• I suppose, but I knew that meant it wasn’t going to work as well either. And it didn’t, so no surprise there. It did work quickly, because it melted in the mouth and entered the bloodstream quicker, so within twenty minutes or so I was feeling relief, which was a big improvement over the hour I had to wait before. I found that after only five or six hours, however, the effectiveness was beginning to wear off. It was only a mild to moderate imrpovement to begin with, and then for it to stop working after only a few hours, it hardly seemed worth the $20 investment. I couldn’t help but be a little more disappointed in it than I had prepared myself for, simply because of the
        cost. When they said “now available without a prescription” you think you’re getting the same thing, but you aren’t. It’s not nearly strong enough to warrant that kind of money, especially when there are all kinds of generic versions that work just as well for almost half the cost.

After that initial box, I will never use it again. Even my teenage sons (who are also “gifted” with my great sinus and allergy problems) didn’t feel it working very well at all, and my oldest even said basic liquid Benadryl has worked better for him. It worked somewhat, but it was only mild relief and it didn’t last long, so I’ll be trying other products in the future while on my quest to find a great allergy medication for a great price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2616051095140331/k2311a0516/5.16.10