Southwest Airlines service experience  » Airlines  »
1.0
Houston to Dallas, TX
  • My last experience with Southwest, though, was less than pleasant
  • It was spring break and I decided to surprise my 11 and 12 year old kids with their first airplane ride to Houston - just a short drive from the beaches in Galveston

• by upfaller

I fly occasionally for work and leisure, and I’ve flown on many airlines, but I always try to fly Southwest, if possible. They have great fares and the friendliest flight attendants in the air … or so I thought. My last experience with Southwest, though, was less than pleasant.

It was spring break and I decided to surprise my 11 and 12 year old kids with their first airplane ride to Houston - just a short drive from the beaches in Galveston. The trip there was OK, none of the humor or playfulness that made Southwest famous, but nothing negative.

The trip back, though, was another story. Although we were in the “B” boarding group, my kids

and I did not get to sit together, so we got as close to each other as was possible on a full flight - I on one side of the plane and my kids (in different rows) on the other.

We had just sat down when a flight attendant approached a couple who had 2 adults and 3 kids in 3 seats. She explained to them that they could not have 5 people in 3 seats and that they would have to move; the woman said that she wasn’t going to have her family scattered all over the plane and refused to move.

To my surprise, the flight attendant went immediately to my son, the only child in the area,

• and asked him to give the woman his seat so she could be close to her husband. He did not say anything but looked at me with wide eyes, as if to say, “please handle it.

” I quietly told the flight attendant that it was my son’s first time to fly and that he was afraid of heights (he cried on the way to Houston) so I, therefore, preferred that he not be moved away from me. Instead of understanding and asking an adult to move, she rolled her eyes and said loudly, “he would only be a couple of aisles away from you.

” She then went back to my son, completely ignoring what I had just told

her, and asked him to move again! This time I explained to her that she was welcome to approach an adult for their seat, but that my son would not be moving. She shook her head and said in a raised, sarcastic tone, “is there anyone who would be KIND enough to give up their seat?” I was horrified at the intimidation toward and lack of compassion for my son, but above all at the low level of class and poor customer service exhibited by an employee of an airline that built its reputation on providing exceptional service.

In retrospect, I would gladly have paid $15 per bag to have left my kids with a better first impression of air travel.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4016051094600231/k2311a0516/5.16.10