World Market Set Of Four Melamine Measuring Spoons  » Housewares  »
  • I think what attracted me were the fun colors
  • But, I found out there are sometimes subtle, but important differences, even with these seemingly simple kitchen utensils

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

The kitchen section of World Market always puts me in a buying mood, especially in summer. I guess these really were an impulse purchase although it occurs to me I haven’t had a complete set of measuring spoons in a while. I think what attracted me were the fun colors. Each spoon is a different color, which I think could be helpful in teaching kids to bake. Also, the measurements are embossed very large on each spoon and super easy to read.

I actually

didn’t expect to have any strong opinions about these measuring spoons. After, all a spoon is a spoon right? But, I found out there are sometimes subtle, but important differences, even with these seemingly simple kitchen utensils.

What I found is I don’t love these for measuring dry ingredients. I guess because the walls of the melamine are very thick, all of these spoons are bigger than normal. All but the ¼ teaspoon size spoons don’t seem to fit in my spice jars. I found it was sort of hard to measure dry spices accurately. Especially, trying to measure fluffier textured spices like curry powder with the big round tablespoon measure was very hit or miss. I was in the middle of making dinner when I made these discoveries. I found I was really missing my slim metal tablespoon which I had stupidly thrown out because it didn’t match anything.

The other thing is I hand wash and air dry all my dishes, and these seemed to take ...

• World Market Set Of Four Melamine Measuring Spoons
      forever to dry for some reason. Like hours. My metal ones never took that long to dry. Not sure why that is exactly.

On the other hand, I really loved using these for measuring wet ingredients. In fact, I think I prefer them for that. The chunky handles makes it easy for me to get a firm grip, even on the tiny one and it seems to be easy to pour things like soy sauce into without spilling. It’s like the liquid sort

of clings to them.

For measuring things like granulated sugar and salt, I didn’t notice a significant difference between using these vs. metal spoons.

So, I still think these are cute and a colorful addition to my kitchen. I think most people will find favorite uses for them. But, I would say try them out first, before you start using them to make recipes. And, don’t throw out your other measuring spoons just yet.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5314051093731131/k2311a0514/5.14.10