Realspace Soho Premium Narrow Bookcase, Classic Cherry
  • The box was longer than I thought and super heavy, so I’m glad there was a delivery guy to transport it, unload it and help get it into the house for me
  • I found it pretty easy to assemble, because it was so similar to the bookcase that I had recently assembled
  • In my experience it is necessary to really examine the pictures closely to make sure you’re assembling this bookcase properly
  • I decided not to put the chipboard backing on because I preferred the open look of being able to see the wall behind
  • And despite the different name of Soho, which confused me at frist, it matches perfectly with the other Realspace bookshelf I bought

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I specifically bought this Realspace Soho bookshelf to hopefully coordinate with the Realspace Premium Multipurpose bookcase I’m currently enjoying as a TV console. Actually wanted two, one for each side but I wanted to be absolutely sure it would match well and fit well so I only bought one. I had to order this online because they don’t sell it in the store. Happily it shipped the very next day. And the shipping was free- awesome!

As it turns out, the lack of store availability was a blessing in disguise. The box was longer than I thought and super heavy, so I’m glad there was a delivery

guy to transport it, unload it and help get it into the house for me.

I found it pretty easy to assemble, because it was so similar to the bookcase that I had recently assembled. No missing parts. Nice sturdy camlock construction. My advice, though is take your time. In my experience it is necessary to really examine the pictures closely to make sure you’re assembling this bookcase properly. I found it is easy to put the side moldings on upside down without realizing it- I did just that with the previous bookcase and had to take it apart and put it all back together again.

This time I paid closer attention. Now, I did deviate from the instructions just a bit. I decided not to put the chipboard backing on because I preferred the open look of being able to see the wall behind. I still plan to anchor it to the wall with the brackets they provide to add some stability so I think it’s all right that I left the backing off.

I have only a couple of minor issues with this bookcase. First, it’s advertised as having adjustable shelves. The truth is that the middle shelf is fixed and only the other four are adjustable. Also, the adjustable shelves ...

• Realspace Soho Premium Narrow Bookcase, Classic Cherry
      aren’t very adjustable. So, I have a few inches to play with up or down but I can’t put them just anywhere I want. The other surprise was finding that the shelves have a maximum load capacity of 30 pounds and they don’t want me to put anything on top of the bookcase at all. I didn’t learn this until I read the instructions. Still, I think I can at least get away with putting a plant on top or something.

This bookcase looks great and completely met all my requirements of being tall, but not too tall, skinny but capable of great storage. And despite the

different name of Soho, which confused me at frist, it matches perfectly with the other Realspace bookshelf I bought. My console bookcase and this together look like one piece. It looks almost like an expensive custom wall unit and my 42 inch TV actually looks like it belongs in my small bedroom room now. As it was just over a hundred dollars, I feel I’ve made a really smart purchase. In fact, I’ve just ordered a matching one to go on the other side, which should come soon thanks to Office Depot’s next day shipping.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5714051093691131/k2311a0514/5.14.10