Super Mario Bros. 2
  • Everything about the game was different than it was in the original game, and while some seem to like the Japanese version best, I enjoy the western release as much as I enjoyed the traditional Mario games
  • To tell you the truth, I believe that the settings in this game are superior to that of the other games in the series
  • While I will always love the mushrooms and turtles of the traditional Mario games, the enemies in this game are infinitely more interesting and all out fun
  • Her ability to hover is always the most useful ability to have when you're trying to avoid pit based deaths, even if it is the least fun to use
  • My one major complaint is that the ending was confusing and boring

• by RedEyedFacade

Since the popularization of gaming, there has been a practice of taking preexisting games and completely changing the characters out to market it as a different game somewhere else in the world. No bigger game has come as a result of this than Super Mario Bros. 2. Everything about the game was different than it was in the original game, and while some seem to like the Japanese version best, I enjoy the western release as much as I enjoyed the traditional Mario games. Offering four playable characters, it offered me so much replay value as a child that I continue to come back and play with different characters to this day. The way the game felt, its art design, really sets it apart as one of the more creative games ever to have come down the pipe (a little Mario joke there).

Known as Doki Doki Panic in Japan, Super Mario Bros. 2

was a complete departure from the game that preceded it. The Mushroom Kingdom being replaced by some strange fantasy land filled with walking bombs, egg shooting birds, and radishes for the picking. To tell you the truth, I believe that the settings in this game are superior to that of the other games in the series. With all the odd variety it has, I can say that I find myself more interested in the environments, if only because there always seems to be some weird thing going on that you don’t really notice until you look closer. The secret shadow world doors add so much quirkiness, and the way you kill enemies by throwing radishes at them just make me smile every time, and thats something that cant be said for the majority of games.

The enemies are as awkward and varied as the overall aesthetic of the game. Pointless snakes and bouncing birds

make for confusing fun, and the all hilarious Birdo, a large pink dinosaur-bird with a bow on her head that shoots eggs at you, has stood the test of time based entirely on her ability to seem completely out of place. While I will always love the mushrooms and turtles of the traditional Mario games, the enemies in this game are infinitely more interesting and all out fun.

The controls are where this game shines. The four playable characters (Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad) all handle differently, and all are equally as fun to play through levels with. Playing as Mario nets you the ability to play in a classic Mario style, as does Toad, but Luigi and Toadstool offer up fun jumping abilities (Luigi can jump really high, and Toadstool can hover). Being able to play through the entire game with any character you want really adds to my enjoyment of the ...

• Super Mario Bros. 2
      game, and is the reason I can still play it after all these years. I must admit, though, that playing as Princess Toadstool was really always my first choice. Her ability to hover is always the most useful ability to have when you’re trying to avoid pit based deaths, even if it is the least fun to use.

The music, while not standard for a Mario game, really is as memorable as anything else of its era. Many people don’t realize that a few of the most memorable classic video game songs have come from this game, and that’s a shame, as the music is something that adds so much to the experience. The quirky music fits perfectly with the aesthetic, and is really a perfect example of classic eight bit music making.

My one major complaint is that the ending was confusing and boring. I wont go into spoiling it, but it really does

seem to nullify the entire point of the game. While it is understandable that a game that has been localized for a region that it was not originally intended for is going to have some continuity problems, having these issues at the ending of the game seems a bit much, as the ending is what you play through the game for in the first place. Honestly, it is a small nitpick, but it is probably the only bad thing I can say about this game.

After so many years of hyper realistic games, it is always fun to play a game like Super Mario Bros. 2. The wacky fun that was a complete departure for the series at the time, stands to this day as one of the more weird games that can provide a ton of entertainment. As games move more towards realism, this game reminds me why I started playing games in the first place.

Super Mario Bros. 2

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2814051093681131/k2311a0514/5.14.10