World Market Morgan Basket
  • I bought a couple of these because I thought they might help me organize my new bookshelf and at under five dollars I just couldn’t pass them up
  • I like that they’re deep enough to hold a lot of stuff, but not so deep that everything will become a jumbled mess inside
  • I guess they came in several colors, but by the time I found them on an endcap display they only had brown and red left
  • These are sort of like the best of both worlds for me
  • Again, limited usefullness but I recommend them all the same

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I bought a couple of these because I thought they might help me organize my new bookshelf and at under five dollars I just couldn’t pass them up. I like that they’re deep enough to hold a lot of stuff, but not so deep that everything will become a jumbled mess inside. I guess they came in several colors, but by the time I found them on an endcap display they only had brown and red left. That’s okay, they’re nice colors and the brown one is a pretty good match for my cherry veneer bookshelf.

I actually bought a similar sized basket at World Market not too long ago. It was reinforced with wire and seemed very sturdy. It was also heavier and by the time I had filled it with items, it was a bit cumbersome. These Morgan baskets on the other hand are deceptively lightweight. In

the store I worried that they might be kind of flimsy, especially as they are made of paper. The sides give a little when I press on them. If I was really trying I suppose I could tear through them. But, they’re reinforced in several places along the sides and bottom so maybe the paper itself doesn’t need to be all that strong. They also don’t have lids, but that doesn’t really bother me if I’m using them for things I want to get at easily and often.

The thing that’s really kind of genius about these is they’re so stackable. The tops are about an inch wide all the way around. I found this provides a very sturdy base for placing another basket on top. I was able to stack them right on top of each other and they didn’t shift at all. The other thing is that ...

• they don’t make that annoying rustling sound when I move them and they don’t catch on anything like wicker baskets do. Actual baskets as storage really annoy me that way. Really, these are more like boxes than baskets. I’m finding that I seem to prefer boxes over baskets, although baskets are sometimes more attractive to me. These are sort of like the best of both worlds for me.

One thing I take seriously with these baskets it is the warning about the hand dyed paper. It says on the tag if it gets wet the color can transfer. So I wouldn’t put clothes or shoes in them at all even when they’re dry. Bathroom storage and kitchen storage I think would be a no no as those are damp environments. And, I plan to keep them off the floor just in case the carpet ever gets wet. I guess

that’s the downside to these baskets; I want to use them everywhere, but sadly I feel their functionality is limited to uses where they can’t get wet.

Still, in my opinion these baskets are an excellent value, very practical and they’re stronger than they look. I recommend them for adding color and storage to bookcases. I think they would be great for the office. Right now I’m enjoying mine in the bedroom for keeping my video games, CD’s and DVD’s organized. It’s nice to look at my bookshelf and see these attractive baskets instead of things they contain. At the same time the fact that the baskets are so lightweight and have handles means it’s easy to get at these items when I want to.

Again, limited usefullness but I recommend them all the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5714051093671131/k2311a0514/5.14.10