A Song for the World by the Up With People volunteers  » Entertainment  »
  • From the start, I noticed that the stage in this still to be completed casino, Resorts World Manila, was very small
  • There was also a parade of countries' national costumes which was very interesting
  • I think there were only two whom I would consider really good singers or dancers out of the 30+ cast
  • I was really impressed with the passion of the cast
  • As I mentioned, they may not be the best performers, but you can see why they are performing—for the children and families they interacted with in their short stay in Manila

• by thegirlfrombrazil

A Song for the World is a benefit concert for impoverished communities in Manila. It is presented by volunteers from all around the world, showcasing their different cultures through song and dance.

From the start, I noticed that the stage in this still to be completed casino, Resorts World Manila, was very small. Sure enough, when the entire cast came in and did their opening number, everyone was bumping into each other and losing their rhythm. I felt like I was in a Ms. Universe pageant when the cast started coming up to the mic and saying their home country. There was also a parade of countries’ national costumes

which was very interesting. I had to commend them for lugging around so much costumes and props considering they travel around the world to do volunteer work and then perform afterwards.

The show was very interactive. Some performances required the audience to stand up and dance with the performers, one had us raise our lit cellphones in a tribute concert style. Aside from showcasing different cultures where their cast come from, the show also tackled very basic themes such as hope, love and peace. It was in a sense, a concert that encouraged the audience to not be afraid to let their voices be heard and to stand ...

• up for what they believe in. They all want to say that anyone CAN make a difference.

The cast was a mix. Some were really good performers, others not so. I think there were only two whom I would consider really good singers or dancers out of the 30+ cast. Sometimes I caught myself wondering if they were lip syncing and if the band in the background was just pretending to rock out on their guitars and drumset. After all, the cast is first and foremost a group of volunteers who raise money for their chosen communities through a concert. So they are not really expected to excel

in the performing arts.

All in all, the concert was enjoyable. I felt like I had traveled the world in 3 hours time. I was really impressed with the passion of the cast. As I mentioned, they may not be the best performers, but you can see why they are performing—for the children and families they interacted with in their short stay in Manila. Them singing a Tagalog song was a bonus and a real success for them to learn in such a short time frame. Kudos to everyone from Up With People. I am sure you have inspired many people not just here in the Philippines, but all over the world!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5914051093031031/k2311a0514/5.14.10