Starbucks Via Ready Brew, Italian Roast  » Food  »
  • I haven’t had instant coffee in even longer, because it isn’t the best tasting coffee usually
  • The first thing I noticed is the coffee grounds were dark and super powdery, almost like finely ground espresso
  • I don’t know if my tastebuds have changed, but I found I enjoyed it black
  • Anyway, while it wasn’t the same it definitely had more than a hint of that Starbucks taste that I remember
  • So, in my opinion, Starbucks Ready Brew is an instant worth trying, even if you think you hate instant

• by Scarlet Hughes

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

I don’t really go to Starbucks anymore, but when I did I was always into their dark roasts like Sumatra or Italian roast. I haven’t had instant coffee in even longer, because it isn’t the best tasting coffee usually. Instant is something I felt I had moved on from. Somehow we wound up with this little sample size of Starbucks Via Ready Brew. It’s actually been lying around the house for months now. I’ve not necessarily been a fan of Starbucks branching out with so many different products in recent years. It makes me wonder if the quality is being compromised. I don’t just trust that a product is going to be good just because it has the Starbucks name on it. Anyway, I finally got around to trying it.

The first thing

I noticed is the coffee grounds were dark and super powdery, almost like finely ground espresso. That encouraged me for the simple reason that it looked so different from the lighter colored instant coffee crystals I’m familiar with. Still, I smelled it dry it kind of made me think it wouldn’t be too much different from Folgers instant. Pouring the hot water in changed everything. The aroma was surprisingly good and it did sort of remind me of being in a Starbucks. The taste was very nice too, very much like a brewed dark roast. I don’t know if my tastebuds have changed, but I found I enjoyed it black. I always added sugar and cream to my Starbucks coffee. Anyway, while it wasn’t the same it definitely had more than ...

• a hint of that Starbucks taste that I remember.

One problem I always had with instant in the past is it’s kind of on the weak side and I have to add more coffee powder than I should to get the strong taste that I like. This often ends up with a coffee that is too thick and kind of murky looking. The Starbucks one on the other hand is very strong to begin with. If anything, I’d be wanting to add additional water to it. At the same time it has a very clean taste and looks a lot more like brewed coffee to me. So, to me that makes it a stand out amongst instant coffees.

Usually I just drink the coffee from the pot. But, trying this Starbucks version

of instant has convinced me that I might like to have some around the house. It would be a nice alternative to the flavored coffee that I always brew in the morning. I could enjoy it a cup at a time, when I’m in the mood. And, I’d feel pretty good about offering it to guests too, who aren’t always into flavored coffee. Also, it’s just occurred to me that I used to use Folgers instant in recipes from time to time. I’d be very interested to see what this richer tasting Starbucks instant would be like in its place.

So, in my opinion, Starbucks Ready Brew is an instant worth trying, even if you think you hate instant.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2713051092610331/k2311a0513/5.13.10