Maho Bay Beach  » Travel  »
Maho Bay, St. John, USVI 00830
  • I think all of the beaches on St. John are beautiful, so it's impossible for me to choose only one favorite, but Maho Bay Beach on St. John is certainly among my favorite beaches on the island
  • If you're planning a trip to Maho Bay Beach, I would recommend renting a vehicle as opposed to taking a taxi, because I know from experience that taxi service to and from Maho Bay isn't always reliable, not to mention it's a pretty expensive ride from where the taxis are in Cruz Bay
  • I'm not a big fan of snorkeling, but due to the fact that the water is so clear there, I still enjoyed seeing an abundance of sea life minus all of the gear
  • I don't think there's a high enough rating available for Maho Bay, because I think it's an ultimate example of nature at its finest

• by Davis Tucker

I think all of the beaches on St. John are beautiful, so it’s impossible for me to choose only one favorite, but Maho Bay Beach on St. John is certainly among my favorite beaches on the island. It’s actually one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever been to in the world, and I’ve been to my fair share of beaches over my lifetime. It’s near the top of my list of must see beaches for anyone who considers themselves a beach connoisseur.

Merely describing it as the perfect secluded tropical paradise, complete with crystal clear water, sugary sand, and majestic palm trees can’t describe how absolutely spectacular I think the scenery is at Maho Bay Beach. I think anyone would actually have to see it for themselves in order to fully appreciate its true natural beauty. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to live on St. John for a few years, and Maho Bay Beach was the first beach I went to on the island.

I had seen pictures and postcards of Maho Bay prior to going there, but I was still in complete awe of the stunning perfection of

the overall scenery the first time I was there. I think maybe I didn’t expect it to be as ideally beautiful as it appeared in pictures, and everything about it actually exceeded even my highest expectations of Maho Bay. From my first time there, I became a pretty regular visitor at Maho Bay Beach. I felt like I was really missing out on something if I didn’t make it there at least once every other week.

I also considered myself extremely lucky to live within such close proximity of such a beautiful place. Few people in the world have the luxury of living only a short drive away from a true tropical paradise. I think one of the major highlights of Maho Bay is the seclusion of the beach. It’s not really within walking distance of anything else on the island, and the road leading to it is fairly steep, so you won’t see too many people walking along the main road to get to Maho Bay.

Other than a few cars passing by, the only signs of life you’ll probably see are donkeys, goats, an occasional mongoose, and iguanas in ...

• the trees. If you’re planning a trip to Maho Bay Beach, I would recommend renting a vehicle as opposed to taking a taxi, because I know from experience that taxi service to and from Maho Bay isn’t always reliable, not to mention it’s a pretty expensive ride from where the taxis are in Cruz Bay. There’s no official parking on the stretch of Maho Bay Beach that I liked to go to, but there are plenty of palm trees to park underneath so your vehicle isn’t in the direct sun. Maho Bay Beach is actually the only beach on that side of St.

John that you can drive directly up to. The beach itself is relatively narrow, but it’s long, so it’s easy to find privacy there, even during peak season on the island. My friends and I would often have a section of the beach completely to ourselves when we were there. The sand is pristine, and the water is almost always exceptionally clear and calm.

I highly recommend Maho Bay for anyone who wants to try snorkeling for the first time, because there’s plenty to see in the water there,

and the calm waters make it a safer option than some of the other beaches on the island. I’m not a big fan of snorkeling, but due to the fact that the water is so clear there, I still enjoyed seeing an abundance of sea life minus all of the gear. On one occasion, I was in the water with a tiny baby shark that was swimming close to the shore. On another occasion I had the fortune of seeing a sea turtle out in the water.

There’s always a lot to see in the water in Maho Bay on any given day, and although you may not be lucky enough to get a glimpse of a sea turtle, you can always count on seeing a variety of colorful fish. Maho Bay Beach is the perfect beach on St. John to go to whether your intention is swimming, snorkeling, or sunning yourself in seclusion on the beach. I don’t think there’s a high enough rating available for Maho Bay, because I think it’s an ultimate example of nature at its finest.

Maho Bay Beach truly exceeds every expectation I’ve ever had about being in a tropical paradise.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3813051092230231/k2311a0513/5.13.10