Schick Hydro 5 Razor
1.5
  • At first I thought I was imagining this and maybe I just missed the area, but then my son without knowing I had this happen, complained of the same thing too
  • While this feature was meant to be used as a precision trimmer, I found it completely useless
  • I will definitely go back to the Embrace on my next shopping trip, and will look for a suitable Men’s alternative for my son

• by Jude244

I took advantage of a sale at Walgreens to try out the new Schick Hydro 5 Razor. As my son had also reminded me that he needed a new one, I went ahead and purchased two. Often I wait to hear what he thinks of new razors before I get myself one, but it looked nice and it’s easy to toss if it’s not that great.

In terms of appearance, the Hydro 5 looks pretty sporty. It is predominately white, with electric blue metallic racing stripes that detail the contours, and a wavy white raised grip and thumb rest that provide comfort and added design.

While it may look nice and feel comfortable to hold, the Hydro 5 is extremely disappointing when it comes to an actual shave. When I purchased

this product I was under the impression that the 5 Ultra Glide Blades would not only provide a close shave but also reduce irritation.

Unfortunately, this was not the case. Instead of getting an even shave, small patches were skipped even though that area was shaved. At first I thought I was imagining this and maybe I just missed the area, but then my son without knowing I had this happen, complained of the same thing too. Not only did we both notice the skipping of small areas, but we were both scratched by the thin strip located at the top of the razor.

It would appear that the Schick’s Hydro 5’s Hydrating Gel Reservoir, or more commonly known as the indented blue strip above the blades, actually rubs, or ...

• slightly scratches the skin as you shave. If you run your finger against it, it doesn’t feel rough, however when shaving it provides surface friction which we both found annoying and uncomfortable.

While the strip supposedly contains Aloe and Vitamin E, I could find little if any product dispensed. For that matter this barely negligible addition seems completely redundant, as it will most certainly be imperceptible once a shaving cream has been applied.

Another thing that completely ruins this razor is the pivoting flip back feature of the disposable razor cartridge. While this feature was meant to be used as a precision trimmer, I found it completely useless. Not only did it do very little to add to the usefulness of the product, but the amount of play in the head resulted

in it moving around when I tried to shave, and further contributed to a lousy shave.

So it’s a shame in this rare instance that I didn’t wait to see if my son liked it first, as we are both ready to purchase another razor entirely. Since this razor came with 2 blade cartridges, we are both going to wait out all grimacing and stubbly.

I have to say I am sorry I didn’t pick up another Venus Embrace instead. Gillette’s Embrace also has 5 blades but never skipped sections, scratched me with its protective moisture strips or ever made me want to toss it out before it was done. I will definitely go back to the Embrace on my next shopping trip, and will look for a suitable Men’s alternative for my son.

Schick Hydro 5 Razor

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3112051091091231/k2311a0512/5.12.10