Iron Man  » Movies  »
  • However, I can honestly say that I quite enjoyed Iron Man
  • I like that the movie was not made to specifically pander to the fans of the comic, and that it featured more subdued characters and situations than the majority of action movies released today
  • Not particularly interesting, I didn't think, but despite its typical nature, there is a lot to the characters that makes up for it
  • I thought it was a good choice to keep the action sequences shorter, and more to the point than most
  • I don't think it's really a huge deal though

• by RedEyedFacade

Admittedly, I am no huge fan of the comic book movie genre, usually, I find the over-the-top performances and plots a bit too much to swallow. However, I can honestly say that I quite enjoyed Iron Man. I like that the movie was not made to specifically pander to the fans of the comic, and that it featured more subdued characters and situations than the majority of action movies released today. From top to bottom, the action seemed to take a backseat to the character development, and the development that takes place is much more believable than I would have assumed, given the reputation of the franchise.

The plot is pretty typical fare for a comic book/action movie. Tony Stark lives a destructive lifestyle, is put in a situation where he has to see first hand the effects of this lifestyle on others, and has a change of heart that is opposed by his former colleagues. Not particularly interesting, I didn’t think, but despite its typical nature, there is a lot to the characters that makes up for it. I really did get a genuine feel for how the character of Tony Stark would see the error of his ways,

and how he went about trying to right things the only way he knew how. The effects on the people around him were typical fare as well, but how it is presented keeps everything well in the realm of believability.

I did like the action, too. I thought it was a good choice to keep the action sequences shorter, and more to the point than most. I hate when movies build the entire structure of the plot around action sequences, and this movie does a good job of keeping the action where it was necessary, as opposed to when it would simply look cool. The distinct lack of action in some parts of the movie really made room for you to get to know the characters well enough to care about them when they start fighting.

The structure of the movie itself was a bit plodding at times, but it seemed to work really well considering everything was more character focused. For a comic book movie, its pacing was pretty well thought out, and I liked how I did not have to watch an action scene every ten minutes just to get to the next plot point. Often times, bad pacing ...

• can leave you exhausted halfway through the movie, but Iron Man really keeps you wanting to see the next scene, as I feel it always keeps things fresh when it needed to.

While a few of the flame effects really made me laugh a little, the movie generally was very pleasing to the eye. The point in the film where the suits has its panels tested really looked amazing, and the flight effects were exactly what I would have hoped they’d be. The way he moves around in the suit was pretty believable too, adding to the sensation that there is a man inside operating it, rather than just some autonomous machine effortlessly gliding around.

The sound design was a bit much at times, to be fair, and it really pulled me out of the film for a second from time to time. It is hard to explain, but it always seemed like I was right next to whatever was producing the sound, even if it was well on the other side of the scene. This was especially true for Iron Man himself, always seeming to have a microphone on every part of his suit connected directly to your ear. Maybe

this is to make up for the fact that most don’t have high definition sound capabilities in their homes, but I didn’t like it much.

My one major gripe with the movie is that the climax of the movie underwhelmed me a bit. If I didn’t already know it was the climax point, it may have slipped right past me, leaving me decently confused at the end of the movie. While I wouldn’t normally complain about a lack of action, a little bit more action when action was called for would have emphasized the urgency of it a little more. I don’t think it’s really a huge deal though.

All in all, I liked this movie a lot more than most of the action movies I have seen lately. As an avid movie fan, it is nice to see that some movies are still made for movie fans in general, as opposed to the fans of what influenced the movie. I was told by my friends that the sometimes cheesiness of the movie would put me off it, but I am pretty happy to say that they were wrong, and Iron Man is indeed a good film. Definitely worth a watch.

Iron Man

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1111051090481131/k2311a0511/5.11.10