Berni Pesto Al Basilico (Pesto Sauce)
  • I am a big fan of pesto sauce, that delicious Italian staple made with basil, garlic and butter
  • My husband makes the best homemade pesto ever, but it does take some time to prepare
  • At my favourite Italian market, I found a small jar of imported prepared pesto from a brand called Berni, and I decided to buy it despite it being a bit pricey at over $5
  • However, it was both tasty and authentic, and it is very convenient to have in the refrigerator at the ready for any occasion
  • I would highly recommend that anyone who loves pesto, and cooks authentic Italian food, should buy a jar of Berni Pesto Al Basilico

• by Jessie Bahrey

I am a big fan of pesto sauce, that delicious Italian staple made with basil, garlic and butter. My husband makes the best homemade pesto ever, but it does take some time to prepare. At my favourite Italian market, I found a small jar of imported prepared pesto from a brand called Berni, and I decided to buy it despite it being a bit pricey at over $5. I wanted to have something on hand for when we didn’t have time to cook pesto from scratch,

and I really didn’t expect it to be very tasty or authentic. However, it was both tasty and authentic, and it is very convenient to have in the refrigerator at the ready for any occasion.

The first time I used this pesto sauce was when I had run out of ideas for a side-dish to go with veal meal that my husband made, and then I remembered my jar of pesto. I cooked a bit of gnocchi and took out some of the pesto to warm ...

• up a bit. Both my husband and I were shocked at the first bite, because the pesto really was tasty; like all good pesto, you can taste the garlic and basil, and the flavours are wonderful. I was curious and looked at the ingredients list, and sure enough, the ingredients are very close to how my husband makes his pesto; there are oil, basil, garlic, pine nuts and Pecorino cheese. It is creamy and filling, and since that first time, I have used it several times
        with different dishes. I didn’t want to hurt my husband’s feelings, but it is almost as good as his and he even admits it. This pesto actually tastes fresh, and the fact that the basil flavour comes through is hard to imagine, but it is true.

I would highly recommend that anyone who loves pesto, and cooks authentic Italian food, should buy a jar of Berni Pesto Al Basilico. It is really delicious and it actually tastes homemade. It is available at Italian markets as well as some grocery stores.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2711051090301131/k2311a0511/5.11.10