Hertz Car Rental San Francisco International Airport  » Car rental  »
780 McDonnell Road, San Franciso, CA 94128-3152, USA
  • Many times when I rent a car, it is a necessary evil in order to have transportation but by no means an easy or stress free experience
  • I was really impressed at how fast the monorail was, how clean and efficient it was, and how you never had to wait more than a few minutes for one to turn up
  • This meant that even if we made it to the office on our first attempt, and I think it is likely we might have done, we had to then divert from our route to find a gas station

• by npz

The Hertz office at San Francisco International Airport is an example of a car rental company that is actually doing the right thing from a business point of view. Many times when I rent a car, it is a necessary evil in order to have transportation but by no means an easy or stress free experience. Not so with my experience in San Francisco.

I made a booking well in advance for a car. The confirmation e-mail came through with no difficulty and I had all my papers in order just in case as well. Our flight arrived in San Francisco a little late, but not very. I was at this point resigned anyway to the car either not being ready or having been given to someone else due to the flight delay as has happened at other car rental offices.

After collecting our bags, we looked for directions on how to get to the Hertz office. We found the appropriate signs and headed off. Now, to get from the airport terminal

to the Hertz office, there is a monorail system. This was incredibly clean and efficient. There was a combination of maps above head level and spoken announcements telling you where the monorail was headed and where you were now. Basically, it appears that all of the car rental agencies are off site, as you would expect, but rather than each rental company having separate buses doing rounds of collecting passengers and dropping them off, all of this congestion and pollution is avoided by having one monorail system that serves everyone. It is a brilliant idea, and it works.

I was really impressed at how fast the monorail was, how clean and efficient it was, and how you never had to wait more than a few minutes for one to turn up.

Once we reached the stop for Hertz, almost at the end of the line, we left the monorail and again followed clear and easy to follow instructions to get to the car collection area. Once out of the elevator, the first thing you ...

• see is a giant board with names of passengers picking up their cars that day and the location of their vehicle. Amazingly, our name was still up on the board, and the location of the car was merely a few steps away.

OK, there has to be something wrong with the car, maybe the wrong model, or something? We got to the car, it was the right model. The car was left open with the keys in the ignition and the contract hanging from the rear view mirror. Again, so far everything seemed in order, and the contract was correct. Also, we found that the car was spotless inside and out.

Throughout the week of rental, the car was excellent, it gave us no problems at all. As a bonus, it had Hertz never lost, which we were not expecting, but were very grateful for, after getting lost a few times! We really had no complaints about the car at all.

If I could make one gripe, it was trying to find our

way back to the car rental office prior to our flight. We tried following the directions both on the navigation device and on the road signs, but had several failed attempts before getting back to the office. It was like we could see the office just over the road or behind a fence, but couldn’t find a way to get there. One of the problems was we needed to fill the car with gas before returning it, and there are no gas stations that we could find nearby. This meant that even if we made it to the office on our first attempt, and I think it is likely we might have done, we had to then divert from our route to find a gas station. Once full of gas, that is when our real difficulties in trying to find our way back started.

All in all, as an example of a car rental office, this was a very good experience. I would have no problems renting from Hertz again out of San Francisco.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 311051090291131/k2311a0511/5.11.10