Six Flags Great Adventure  » Entertainment  »
0.5
  • I recommend finding a better amusement park where the staff is friendly and helpful

• by K. Rose

When I was younger, I used to go to Six Flags at least 3 or 4 times a year. It held tons of great memories for me from the time I was 8 until I was about 15. When I got the opportunity last year to go back, I was ecstatic because it had been 7 years since I had the chance to go. Even better, I was getting the chance to go during their Halloween event, Fright Fest, which I never got to go to before!

It was a nice, clear day when my boyfriend and I showed up at the park ready for our day of fun. However, before we even got to go on any rides, there was a sudden, unexpected downpour. Everyone ran for cover, and as we did we asked employees what the outlook was for rides reopening. They

told us that without a doubt things would be reopening soon. We believed what they said and stayed around, especially because the goal of the day was to go on the world famous Kingda Ka!

The rain stopped, and they announced that all the rides except for Kingda Ka would be opening. Ok, a bit disappointing but as it’s the tallest ride in the park, I understood the fear of lightening striking it. In fact, that had happened in a previous year, and the ride was closed down for months. However, just as quick as the rides opened, they closed again due to another unexpected downpour.

By this point, we had been at the park for about 5 hours and still hadn’t been on any rides. We asked Six Flags employees if they thought there was any point sticking around, and they said they were ...

• sure all the rides would reopen shortly. Turns out staff in the room right next to us told people they may as well leave because rides probably won’t stay open longer than an hour or so. More time went by, and everything remained closed until around 8pm.

Ecstatic, we ran to the first ride near us, Skull Mountain. We get to the end of the ride, and suddenly ALL the lights go out. Completely pitch black, we wait about 5 minutes to hear what happened. An employee then showed up with a flashlight, and explained how the ENTIRE park was out of power. It took another 15 minutes or so before they even started to try to get people out of the rides. It was extremely unorganized, and the staff seemed as though they had never been trained on what to do in case

of a situation like this.

As we got off the ride, they made us sign waivers saying we wouldn’t sue, and told us to go to guest services to get free passes to come back to the park. However, we got there to meet rude employees that could not care less about what was happening at their park. To add insult to injury, they also declined to give out ANY free passes, not caring what the other employees told us.

I don’t blame them for the rain or the power outage, but the lack of communication between employees as well as their horrible attitudes completely ruined Six Flags for us. We will not be returning to the park, despite the fact that we had intended to buy season passes this year. I recommend finding a better amusement park where the staff is friendly and helpful.

Six Flags Great Adventure

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5911051090031131/k2311a0511/5.11.10