Sony Bravia KDL 40VBR9 Television  » Electronics  »
  • The Sony Bravia LCD TV KDL-40XBR9 is a really amazing television, especially the way it looks
  • In my opinion, tt looks sleek and beautiful before you even turn it on
  • I keep finding that I think I am turning off the television, only to find I have actually only turned off the cable box

• by npz

The Sony Bravia LCD TV KDL-40XBR9 is a really amazing television, especially the way it looks. The television is incredibly thin, and sits flush against the wall or on its own stand. This television also has an unbelievably thin frame surrounding the screen which means you get 40 inches of screen but with the advantage that virtually no extra wall space taken up by unnecessary framing. In my opinion, tt looks sleek and beautiful before you even turn it on.

Powering up the television is fast. For those with a cable control or universal control for a number of different appliances, a useful feature is the Sony logo that is lit when the television is on. This reduces the risk of mistakenly

switching off the cable box leaving the television on instead. I keep finding that I think I am turning off the television, only to find I have actually only turned off the cable box. With the Sony logo as a reminder, I normally realize my mistake pretty quickly!

I think that picture quality out of the box is amazing, whether you have an HD signal or not, and I don’t believe that there is any need to have anyone in to calibrate the screen. The set up instructions for this television are incredibly easy to follow, and anyone can be up and running and watching television in less than 5 minutes without external help. The HD quality is out of this world, the colors pop out and the picture is knife edge sharp. I am seeing things in films that I have previously watched that I have never seen before!

My advice on purchasing this television is to connect it to the internet and do a software update as soon as possible after installation. The software update does not take long, and again the instructions are foolproof, and set out for you on the screen to guide you through, however it does mean that you can then explore the latest internet ready options more easily and more quickly. It also allows the television to offer more options than it does out of the box.

Connecting other components, such as cable box, DVD player, games console is very easy ...

• Sony Bravia KDL 40VBR9 Television
      due to the four HDMI slots and other connection ports for pretty much any type of plug. All of these are located both on the back of the television and on the side for easy access, and recognition of each component is almost instantaneous.

Once updated, the internet connectivity is easy to navigate. I still think that the content being offered is slightly disappointing, however. Certainly, having Netflix and Amazon on Demand is a definite advantage, and both of these are easy to use and quick to respond. However, there are pages of other video options that offer little more than short clips, trailers and snippets. Is this really the best that Sony can do?? The Home page is a nice

feature whereby you can easily navigate between different things – connected devices, internet functionality, widgets, settings etc.

The widgets, such as financial information and weather for different locations are very useful and unobtrusive when activated. However, the instructions for how to use them and change them are poorly written and do not cover everything. A search on the internet was necessary to work out how to use them to their best advantage.

Overall, this television is fantastic at being a television and at playing back DVD’s. It is incredibly good value as well, particularly if you can pick it up in a sale. For me, it looks like a work of art on the wall with the functionality of becoming an entertainment center as well.

Chris soco says :

re : I keep finding that I think I am turning off the television, only to find I have actually only turned off the cable box
Very nice product

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1611051089470231/k2311a0511/5.11.10