Dairy Queen Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
1209 N. Military Highway, Norfolk, Virginia 23502
  • However, even after years of my more than my fair share of sampling any and every kind of ice cream treat I could get my hands on, I still consider Dairy Queen my all-time favorite place to get ice cream
  • The first time I went to that location, it was comforting to learn that the same high standards of quality I had enjoyed at various Dairy Queen locations over the years were upheld at that particular location
  • I think the only actual unfortunate quality about Dairy Queen is that there are too many good things on the menu

• by Davis Tucker

Dairy Queen is an all-American favorite mostly known for its variety of deliciously unhealthy ice cream treats. Merely mentioning the name evokes supremely happy childhood memories for me. As a typical American child, I didn’t think there were too many things in the world that were better than ice cream on a hot summer day. When I was a small child, I actually thought Dairy Queen was the only ice cream shop in the world, because I grew up in a small town, and it was the only place in our town that specialized in ice cream treats, and the only place I ever ate ice cream, other than the kind that came out of a carton from the grocery store.

Naturally, as I grew up, I also grew a little wiser, and I realized that the variety of ice cream shops in the world is almost impossible to count. However, even after years of my more than my fair share of sampling any and

every kind of ice cream treat I could get my hands on, I still consider Dairy Queen my all-time favorite place to get ice cream. As an adult, I moved to Virginia and lived there for nearly three years before I discovered there was a Dairy Queen in the area.

Once I made that discovery, I became a frequent customer at the Military Highway Dairy Queen. It was almost like I had found a long lost missing piece to a puzzle, because every time I went there I was reminded of the simple comforts I knew as a child. The first time I went to that location, it was comforting to learn that the same high standards of quality I had enjoyed at various Dairy Queen locations over the years were upheld at that particular location.

Aside from the always tempting variety of classic ice cream specialties, I’ve enjoyed consistently above average service at the Military Highway Dairy Queen. That particular location also seems to ...

• have exceptional standards in terms of cleanliness, because I’ve never been there on an occasion when the overall condition of the store couldn’t be described as less than nearly immaculate. It’s impossible for me to choose a single favorite item from Dairy Queen’s menu, because I change my mind about what I may think is my favorite item on an almost weekly basis.

I think the only actual unfortunate quality about Dairy Queen is that there are too many good things on the menu. If I have to choose favorites, I would have to say that their classic chocolate soft serve ice cream cone and classic hot fudge sundae are my all-time favorite ice cream treats from Dairy Queen. I’m also a huge fan of their blizzards, especially Butterfinger and banana split blizzards.

Even though Dairy Queen is largely known for ice cream specialties, I think their food menu is also more than worthy of praises. The food menu is fairly limited, and consists of

all-American favorites, including hot dogs, hamburgers, and fries, but I think the food is pretty exceptional, especially when compared to the food from typical all-American fast food restaurants. I’m especially fond of their burgers, because I think they have a classic all-American taste that is above average in comparison with burgers at some of the most popular fast food chains.

Dairy Queen also takes the cake when it comes to exceptionally affordable prices. I can always afford to eat there, even when I’m on an extremely strict budget. I intend to remain a loyal customer of the Dairy Queen on Military Highway for as long as I live in this area.

It’s one of my favorite places to go to treat myself not only for nostalgic reasons, but for consistent overall quality. I give this particular location my highest rating, because I think this Dairy Queen does more than uphold the standards I’ve experienced at various Dairy Queen locations I’ve been to during my lifetime.

Dairy Queen Restaurant

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 711051089430231/k2311a0511/5.11.10