Album: Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace Band: The Offspring  » Music  »
  • This album is amazing and truly shows just how talented this band is
  • This band is usually Punk Rock, and while this album is still a Rock album, I don’t think it’s Punk anymore, I don’t know how to describe it, but all I know is that it’s damn awesome
  • This Album has 12 tracks on it, which I believe is pretty common for an album, but if anything that’s probably the biggest fault of the album right there
  • Now I feel like the Bass is a very underrated instrument in general, and one of the things I like about this song is that it has a bass solo in it, which is awesome
  • A cool thing to note, is that they named their live tour after this song, and I was actually there for the last show of this tour, which is a fantastic experience I might add

• by Big O

Well it’s been a few years since the last Offspring album, Expectancy of One, which I honestly beloved, wasn’t all that good . However! They have finally returned! Two years ago in 2008 The Offspring released this album, Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace, and it truly is rebirth. This album is amazing and truly shows just how talented this band is. This band is usually Punk Rock, and while this album is still a Rock album, I don’t think it’s Punk anymore, I don’t know how to describe it, but all I know is that it’s damn awesome. This Album has 12 tracks on it, which I believe is pretty common for an album, but if anything that’s probably the biggest fault of the album right there. What I mean is this album has been in the works for quite some time now, and I was hoping for just a little more than just 12 tracks, but I am firm believer in quality over quantity, so in that regard this album certainly does deliver!

As if to welcome the fans back from the wait, this album kicks itself off with the song Half-Truism, which is a great song! The song just has this sweepingly epic feel to it that makes me happy just listening to it.

It’s like “yeah, this band is just so awesome” goes through my mind when listening to this song which proves that it’s truly a powerful opening. The next song is Trust in You, which is a fairly fast paced song that I really like. I really like Dexter Holland’s singing here. Well, honestly I usually like his singing, but in particular here in this song. Actually thinking about it, this guy is actually pretty old, yet he sounds like he’s still in his early 20’s, which I believe is an

impressive feat! Anyways back to the song, I really like the breakdown around the 2:00 mark, it just shines through the song and I just can’t help but admire the talent that these musicians have.

The following song is You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid, and this is one of my most favorite songs on this album, which is saying something because I really don’t dislike any of the songs on this album. This song is just so catchy that I can’t help but sing the lyrics to myself. The song just gives this sense of empowerment that makes me want to get up and do something. Next up is Hammerhead, another good song in an already strong lineup. It’s a pretty fast paced song with some melodically performed moments.

Like Half-Truism, this another song that has an epic feel to it. Now I feel like the Bass is a very underrated instrument in general, and one of the things I like about this song is that it has a bass solo in it, which is awesome. The next song is A Lot Like Me, and no I am not actually speaking about myself, that’s the actual name of the song. Unlike most of the songs in the album up to this point, this one has a bit of a slower pace, but retains the epic feeling that has been very dominant in this album. This is another really good one, especially since this song gives me some pretty intense visuals in my head, which doesn’t happen too often with songs for me.

All in all, this was another really powerful song in my opinion. Takes me Nowhere is the next song, which is another good song. Honestly, this is the 6th song on the album, halfway there, and I haven’t encountered a single song I don’t ...

• like yet. I know plenty of albums that barely have 4 or 5 songs on it that I like, so that’s saying a lot for this album already. Anyways on to the song itself, it’s more upbeat compared to the slightly mellower previous song.

However back to being mellow again in comes Kristy, Are You Doing Okay? I have a bit of a personal connection to this song because I actually have a friend named Kristy whom I haven’t seen in awhile, and it really makes me wonder if she’s doing okay right now. I am not making that up for the sake of this review by the way, that was real. Anyways, on to the song, it’s a bit of slow paced song, but has an empowering message. Basically, it’s okay to rely on your friends when you’re feeling down, and to learn to let go of the past even if it’s painful. This is really just a beautiful song to listen to.

Nothingtown is an upbeat song that nicely complements the somewhat sad song we just finished listening to earlier. This is just a happy, feel good song to listen to that I play whenever I get in a bad mood and whatever bothered me previously, this just cheers me right up! In case you haven’t already realized, yes, I like this song as well. Next up is Stuff Is Messed Up, which is a pretty funny song. Basically Dexter Holland is just going over how it doesn’t take a genius to see that, well, stuff is messed up! It’s a pretty funny song that I get chuckle out of. A cool thing to note, is that they named their live tour after this song, and I was actually there for the last show of this tour, which is a fantastic experience I

might add.

Since Stuff Is Messed Up was such a funny song, we’re brought down a bit with Fix You, which is a very mellow song. The message of this song is to basically the singer wanting to do whatever he can for the one he cares for, even if it means to change himself. It’s a sweet song and it’s got a nice mellow theme to it. But this is the Offspring, they don’t stay mellow for long, and so the next song is Let’s Hear it for Rock Bottom! This is another nice and upbeat song. That’s one of the great things about this album, it’s never too focused on being either too upbeat or too mellow, it strikes a great balance that makes this just a fantastic album to listen to regardless of what mood you’re in.

So now we come to final song on this amazing album and they finish it off with a bang! The final song is Rise and Fall, and this is a really fun song and a great finish for the album. The song again comes forth with the epic feel that has been quite dominant in this album finishes off with a bang. Now admittedly, this last song isn’t quite as epic of a finish as some of their other albums like Americana or Smash, but I believe that it’s still a great song to finish the album with. Overall, I honestly have to say that this is a fantastic album, and it gets a rare ten out of a ten. This is an album that I highly recommend.

If you love The Offspring, then this is obviously a no brainer, you probably already love this album. However, speaking to those who aren’t fans of this band, give this album a shot and it just might convert you!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 148051086431031/k2311a058/5.8.10